Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/3/2013 (1445 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
1. Johan Hedberg, G, NJ.: Hedberg had lost seven of eight coming into this game and had been pulled in two of his last three but he was sharp all night stopping 23 of 25.
2. Ondrej Pavelec, G, Wpg.: None of the Jets but Pavelec were ready to play and if not for him it would have been 4-1 by the end of the first. He kept his team in the game until they found their legs.
3. Patrik Elias, LW, NJ (above): New Jersey's leading scorer was held off the scoresheet until the shootout but earned his team two points when it counted beating Pavelec.
SWAP MEET: The Jets acquired forward Tomas Kubalik from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for forward Spencer Machacek.
Kubalik, 22, has spent 54 games with the Springfield Falcons this season scoring 14 goals and 20 points.
The Plzen, Czech Republic native has played in 12 career NHL games, all with Columbus, recording one goal and four points.
Kubalik was originally selected by the Blue Jackets in the fifth round, 135th overall, in the 2008 NHL Draft.
1. New Jersey, Carter 3 (Zajac, Volchenkov) 8:47 2. New Jersey, Gionta 3 (Kovalchuk, Larsson) 10:12 3. Winnipeg, Stuart 2 (Antropov, Miettinen) 16:17 Penalty — Clitsome Wpg (holding) 17:59.
4. Winnipeg, Kane 10 (Stuart) 17:19
Penalties — None
Penalty — Kovalchuk NJ (tripping) 1:03.
Penalties — None Shootout New Jersey wins 1-0
Winnipeg (0) — Wheeler, miss; Kane, miss; Ladd, miss. New Jersey (1) — Kovalchuk, miss; Clarkson, miss; Elias, goal.
Shots on goal by:
Winnipeg 5 8 7 5 — 25 New Jersey 11 7 7 2— 27
Goal — Winnipeg: Pavelec (L,9-11-2); New Jersey: Hedberg (W,4-7-2). Power plays (goals-chances) — Winnipeg: 0-1; New Jersey: 0-1.
Referees — Stephen Walkom, Greg Kimmerly. Linesmen — Brian Murphy, Mark Wheler.
Attendance — 17,625 (17,625).