Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 01/28/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
FREE PRESS STARS
1. John Tavares, Islanders. Three points in the third period. That's usually good enough.
2. Alex Burmistrov, Jets. First goal of season and important time warrants selection.
3. Evander Kane, Jets. Delivered the game-winner with a strong skate up the ice to get at a rebound.
1. N.Y. Islanders, Ullstrom 2, 2:34
2. Winnipeg, Ponikarovsky 1 (Wellwood, Enstrom) 10:15
Penalties -- McDonald NYI (slashing) 5:13, Okposo NYI (closing hand on puck) 7:44, Carkner NYI (boarding) 19:52, Hamonic NYI (roughing, double minor), Kane Wpg (roughing, double minor) 20:00.
3. Winnipeg, Little 1 (Antropov, Ladd) 5:13
Penalties -- Byfuglien Wpg (slashing) 5:58, Martin NYI (tripping), Stuart Wpg (concealing puck) 13:56.
4. N.Y. Islanders, Tavares 1 (Okposo, Moulson) 0:22
5. N.Y. Islanders, Moulson 3 (Tavares, Hamonic) 5:09
6. N.Y. Islanders, Streit 2 (Nielsen, Tavares) 9:53 (pp)
7. Winnipeg, Byfuglien 3 (Wheeler, Kane) 12:59 (pp)
8. Winnipeg, Burmistrov 1, 14:04
Penalties -- Thorburn Wpg (tripping) 9:20, Ullstrom NYI (hooking) 12:15.
9. Winnipeg, Kane 3 (Jokinen) 1:59
Penalties -- None
Shots on goal by
N.Y. Islanders 6 9 9 1 -- 25
Winnipeg 12 11 9 3 -- 35
Goal -- N.Y. Islanders: Nabokov (L,2-1-1); Winnipeg: Montoya (W,1-0-0).
Power plays (goals-chances) -- N.Y. Islanders: 1-2; Winnipeg: 1-4.
Referees -- Greg Kimmerly, Brad Watson. Linesmen -- Brad Lazarowich, Jay Sharrers.
Attendance -- 15,004 (15,004).
The Jets were scored upon first three straight times this week. Their record in those games? A crisp 3-0. It's a sign some character is starting to take hold.
If there was a grade for Winnipeg's puck management on Sunday night, it might have been a D, or a C at best. "You're going to get these nights," said coach Claude Noel. "But we found a way to get it done."
"ï"ï UP NEXT:
The Jets begin a three-game week on the road with a contest at Montreal's Bell Centre on Tuesday night, 6:30 p.m., TSNJets, TSN1290.
-- Tim Campbell
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 28, 2013 0
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Chevy's early activity creates suspense — is there more to come?
New Jets may buck trends
Jets won't pressure young prospects
Scheifele raising his game for Jets
Leaving Raleigh easy
Youth lifting Jets to new heights
Jets hosting mental health awareness event at game tonight
A loss with few complaints
Jets hosting Hockey Talks game tonight
Jets beef up on rental market
Little fanfare for milestone goal
Tonight: Blues @ Jets
Jets GM lands winger Tlusty from Hurricanes
Rookie Lowry to the rescue in second period
Unwise trade would be un-Chevy
Not classic, but a big win
Quick, call Harbour Patrol, Jets sinking through ice
Scrap shelves D-man Chiarot until April
A bit frazzled over Frolik
Tonight: STARS @ JETS
Chiarot out of Jets' lineup for six weeks after surgery on his hand
Winnipeg Jets Notebook
Here's what the Jets face down the playoff backstretch
Losing to Leafs... man, that hurts
Olli always looks on the bright side of life
Losing to Leafs… man, that hurts
Laffs get last laugh in OT
Kane seeks chance for a fresh start with Buffalo Sabres