Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 01/28/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
FREE PRESS STARS
1. John Tavares, Islanders. Three points in the third period. That's usually good enough.
2. Alex Burmistrov, Jets. First goal of season and important time warrants selection.
3. Evander Kane, Jets. Delivered the game-winner with a strong skate up the ice to get at a rebound.
1. N.Y. Islanders, Ullstrom 2, 2:34
2. Winnipeg, Ponikarovsky 1 (Wellwood, Enstrom) 10:15
Penalties -- McDonald NYI (slashing) 5:13, Okposo NYI (closing hand on puck) 7:44, Carkner NYI (boarding) 19:52, Hamonic NYI (roughing, double minor), Kane Wpg (roughing, double minor) 20:00.
3. Winnipeg, Little 1 (Antropov, Ladd) 5:13
Penalties -- Byfuglien Wpg (slashing) 5:58, Martin NYI (tripping), Stuart Wpg (concealing puck) 13:56.
4. N.Y. Islanders, Tavares 1 (Okposo, Moulson) 0:22
5. N.Y. Islanders, Moulson 3 (Tavares, Hamonic) 5:09
6. N.Y. Islanders, Streit 2 (Nielsen, Tavares) 9:53 (pp)
7. Winnipeg, Byfuglien 3 (Wheeler, Kane) 12:59 (pp)
8. Winnipeg, Burmistrov 1, 14:04
Penalties -- Thorburn Wpg (tripping) 9:20, Ullstrom NYI (hooking) 12:15.
9. Winnipeg, Kane 3 (Jokinen) 1:59
Penalties -- None
Shots on goal by
N.Y. Islanders 6 9 9 1 -- 25
Winnipeg 12 11 9 3 -- 35
Goal -- N.Y. Islanders: Nabokov (L,2-1-1); Winnipeg: Montoya (W,1-0-0).
Power plays (goals-chances) -- N.Y. Islanders: 1-2; Winnipeg: 1-4.
Referees -- Greg Kimmerly, Brad Watson. Linesmen -- Brad Lazarowich, Jay Sharrers.
Attendance -- 15,004 (15,004).
The Jets were scored upon first three straight times this week. Their record in those games? A crisp 3-0. It's a sign some character is starting to take hold.
If there was a grade for Winnipeg's puck management on Sunday night, it might have been a D, or a C at best. "You're going to get these nights," said coach Claude Noel. "But we found a way to get it done."
"ï"ï UP NEXT:
The Jets begin a three-game week on the road with a contest at Montreal's Bell Centre on Tuesday night, 6:30 p.m., TSNJets, TSN1290.
-- Tim Campbell
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 28, 2013 0
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Tonight: LIGHTNING @ JETS
Hoping for stability
Kane scheduled to skate soon
IT'S ONLY ONE WIN BUT...
Jets in a better mood after breaking losing streak with Tuesday's win
Following the leaders
Step in right direction
Lowry bags first NHL goal
Jets apply tourniquet
Jets make roster changes for Hurricanes game to turn around recent nosedive
Ex-Duck Perreault knows value of resilience
Jets boss Maurice mad enough to start cussing
Pavelec not the problem
Paul Maurice is frustrated after Jets' four-game losing streak
Home team did things their way, until 2nd period started
Jets can't stand success
Jets better than they look
Has it already gone sideways on Jets?
Winnipeg Jets vs. Calgary Flames, Oct. 19, 2014
Jets go down against Flames, 4-1
Move brings back memories for Perreault
Lowry man in middle
Simple things seen as the keys
Wakey-wakey, sleeping Jets
Nashville Predators at Winnipeg Jets, Oct. 17, 2014
Crash landing for Jets at home
Line juggling to solve Jets' early woes
Gary Lawless & Tim Campbell on the Jets' inconsistency - Jets This Week Oct. 16