Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 11/5/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
1. Bryan Little, Jets: Flowed across the ice all night, his eighth goal of the season was a beauty and he came oh-so-close to picking up a ninth
2. Mark Scheifele, Jets: Hunted down pucks, flashed some of his magnificent vision, and regularly surprised the opposition with creative play
3. Andrew Ladd, Jets: Salute to the captain, for he helped drive the play and was justly rewarded with some juicy chances, a goal and an assist
22 FOR TOOTOO
The Red Wings started No. 22 Jordin Tootoo in front of his family and friends, so of course the Jets gamely responded by putting their own No. 22 -- Chris Thorburn -- out to answer the inevitable bell. If only the pair had kept their gloves on for six more seconds, they could have started the fight 0:22 into the game, too. Oh well.
JIMMY A LOCK
If there's anyone Detroit could pin this loss on, it definitely is not netminder Jimmy Howard, who flat-out stoned the Jets on multiple occasions even as his own team left him out to dry, to the tune of a staggering 47 shots against, and a pile of breakaways and dangerous rushes. Not many goaltenders could pull out a win being shelled so regularly.
ON THE MARK
That second-period pass from Mark Scheifele to Michael Frolik, the one that slipped through Red Wings defender Kyle Quincey's legs, it played out like poetry. The assist on Frolik's goal snapped a five-game pointless streak for the Jets rookie, who has been quiet to start the season. But in junior, he always had a knack for threading implausible passes to create delightful chances -- hopefully, Monday night was a sign he's settling into NHL speed.
1. Winnipeg, Little 8 (Setoguchi, Ladd) 19:00
Penalties — Tootoo Det, Thorburn Wpg (fighting) 0:16, DeKeyser Det (holding) 3:26, Datsyuk Det (hooking) 9:14, Setoguchi Wpg (hooking) 14:05.
2. Detroit, Zetterberg 8 (Datsyuk, Quincey) 7:09 3. Detroit, DeKeyser 1 (Kronwall, Weiss) 10:05 (sh) 4. Winnipeg, Frolik 3 (Scheifele) 17:04 Penalties — Kindl Det (hooking) 1:45, Detroit bench (too many men; served by Bertuzzi) 8:48.
5. Winnipeg, Halischuk 1 (Frolik, Scheifele) 4:27 6. Winnipeg, Ladd 4 (Setoguchi, Little) 10:57 Penalties — Kronwall Det (slashing) 8:10, Ladd Wpg (tripping) 8:37, Lashoff Det (hooking) 13:28, Clitsome Wpg (hooking) 17:16.
Shots on goal by
Detroit 9 10 9 — 28 Winnipeg 14 17 16 — 47
Goal — Detroit: Howard (L,5-5-2); Winnipeg: Montoya (W,2-1-0).
Power plays (goal-chances) — Detroit: 0-3; Winnipeg: 0-6.
Referees — Wes McCauley, Don Van Massenhoven. Linesmen — Mike Cvik, Don Henderson.
Attendance — 15,004 (15,004) at Winnipeg.
The Jets will look to keep their balance in the Windy City, where they'll take on the Blackhawks at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.
Jets at Blackhawks
Wednesday, Nov. 6
7 p.m., TSN 1290, TSN
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 5, 2013 ??65533
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Jets blue-liner Clitsome says he's recovered from injury
No sweat, Stuart back on ice soon
Maurice has Buff's back
Bogo's goal is to stay healthy all season
Jets starting season with fresh slate, says Ladd
Save percentage 1.000
Jets left-winger happy in the here and now
Love potion No. 9
Jets training camp kicks off
'They've come to perform'
Defence-first policy crucial for Jets to gain ground in playoff hunt
Maurice has influence, pedigree to make Winnipeg a contender
Maurice promises 'an exciting, very aggressive brand of hockey'
Is a playoff berth realistic or do the Jets have too many unsolved questions?
Is change brewing in Jetsville?
Scratching a seven-year itch
Vigier analyzes Maurice's likely impact as Jets head coach
Jets announce training schedule
This Ehlers kid can play a bit
Winnipeg Jets Notebook
Club high on Hutchinson
Players getting cranked for camp
Jet prospects prevail 5-4 in a shootout over Oilers
Jets to hold Fan Fest to kick off hockey season
Maurice will push players to maximum
Taking no chances with Ehlers
Slick Nic turns on red light
Petan leads young Jets to OT win over Canucks