Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 19/8/2011 (2076 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The rookies will gather in Penticton on Sept. 11 and the main camp opens Sept. 17. The Winnipeg Jets are gearing up for their return to the NHL and opening night vs. the Montreal Canadiens Oct. 9 at the MTS Centre. During the next few weeks, we will provide you with an up-close look at some of the players who are expected to be in the team's starting lineup when it hits the ice against the legendary Habs. We continue our series today with Evander Kane.
9 EVANDER KANE
BORN: August 2, 1991 (Age 20)
BIRTHPLACE: Vancouver, B.C.
DRAFTED: Atlanta/2009 NHL entry draft
ROUND: 1st (4th overall)
Considered one of the NHL's rising stars
- - Participated in the 2010 and 2011 IIHF World Championships, as Canada finished seventh and fifth
-Won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2009 World Junior Championship in Ottawa
Was a member of the Memorial Cup winning Vancouver Giants in 2006 as a 16-year-old
- Kane was named after professional boxer Evander Holyfield, a favourite of both his dad and grandfather
- His father, Perry, played hockey for St. Francis Xavier University and his mom, Sheri, played professional volleyball
- His uncle, Leonard Kane, is a member of the Canadian Ball Hockey Hall of Fame. His cousin,
- Dwayne Provo, played in the CFL for seven years and spent one season with the New England Patriots.
- Another cousin, Kirk Johnson, boxed for Canada at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona and later fought John Ruiz for the 2007 World Boxing Association Heavyweight title.
TRANSACTIONS: Drafted after John Tavares (New York Islanders), Victor Hedman (Tampa Lightning) and Matt Duchene (Colorado).
SEASON TEAM GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%
2010-11 THRASHERS 73 19 24 43 -12 68 4 0 2 234 8.1
NHL TOTALS 139 33 36 69 -10 130 4 1 5 361 9.1