June 28, 2017

cloudy

Winnipeg
19° C, Light rain showers

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Mediation goes nowhere

NHL season slipping further and further away

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/11/2012 (1671 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

After arriving at another dead end in negotiations, the NHL and NHL Players' Association emerged from two days of mediation with a new direction to consider.

Commissioner Gary Bettman proposed Thursday that the leadership from both sides step aside for the next bargaining session, leaving a group of owners and players to try and break the stalemate. The specific parameters of the meeting weren't set out and the NHLPA said it would take the offer to its executive board and negotiating committee for consideration.

Louis Lanzano / the associated press archives
Donald Fehr, executive director of the NHLPA, said mediators will stay in contact with the two parties.

CP

Louis Lanzano / the associated press archives Donald Fehr, executive director of the NHLPA, said mediators will stay in contact with the two parties.

Bettman's proposal came with the sides unable to bridge a gap in collective bargaining negotiations despite sitting through a series of sessions with U.S. federal mediators Scot L. Beckenbaugh and John Sweeney in Woodbridge, N.J., this week.

"After spending several hours with both sides over two days, the presiding mediators concluded that the parties remained far apart, and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said Thursday in a statement. "We are disappointed that the mediation process was not successful."

Mediation was also used on a couple of occasions during the NHL's labour dispute in 2004-05 and didn't produce any discernable progress. According to NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, the sides may sit down with representatives from the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service again in the future.

"The mediators informed the parties that they did not think it was productive to continue the discussions further today," said Fehr. "The mediators indicated that they would stay in contact with the league and the NHLPA, and would call the parties back together when they thought the time was right."

Progress has remained elusive for the league and union despite a variety of different negotiation settings over the last several months. They've tried everything from large groups to the Big Four (Bettman, Daly, Donald Fehr and NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr) to a private 1-on-1 session between the deputies without success.

There was a brief hint of optimism last week when the union tabled a new offer that Donald Fehr felt brought the sides within $182 million over five years.

However, a series of player contract issues remain unresolved and the terms of negotiations are bound to change the longer the lockout drags out. On Thursday evening, Daly confirmed that the league's Nov. 8 offer remained on the table.

The sides have each proposed a 50-50 split of revenues, but remain separated on payments to be made outside the system to help ease the transition from a deal that saw players receive 57 per cent. The NHL has offered $211 million in deferred compensation while the union has asked for $393 million.

With the lockout approaching its 12th week, some veteran NHLers have started drawing parallels between the current work stoppage and the one that wiped out the 2004-05 season.

"It seems bleak for having any sort of season," Hurricanes defenceman Joe Corvo told the Raleigh News & Observer. "It feels like (2004-05) again. It seems like we're getting nowhere."

-- The Canadian Press

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more

Top