NHL

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

NHLPA closer to dissolving union after vote

Bettman says owners not alarmed

  • Print

TORONTO -- NHL players have moved a step closer to dissolving their union.

A vote of the NHL Players' Association membership this week has given their union's executive board the power to file a "disclaimer of interest" until Jan. 2. A source confirmed the vote produced more than the two-thirds of membership support needed.

A union spokesman declined to comment on the "internal PA matter."

If the NHLPA's executive board elects to go ahead and file the disclaimer, the union will be dissolved and transformed into a trade association. That would allow players to file anti-trust lawsuits against the NHL.

The legality of the lockout is already set to be tried in a federal U.S. court after the NHL filed a class-action lawsuit last week against the NHLPA, which claimed the union was only using the threat of a "disclaimer of interest" as a bargaining tactic. The NHL also submitted an unfair labour practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board.

Negotiations between the league and union have been at a standstill since talks went off the rails on Dec. 6.

The NHLPA now appears set to follow the lead set by NFL and NBA players, who both dissolved their unions during lockouts last year. The NBA's labour dispute ended less than two weeks after the union was disbanded.

Jeffrey Kessler, the lead negotiator for the National Basketball Players Association in that dispute, believes the NHLPA would be wise to go ahead with the "disclaimer of interest."

Settlement

"I think this is much more likely to lead to a settlement sooner," Kessler told The Canadian Press on Dec. 14. "The players have concluded that they are on the verge of possibly deciding that it is better not to be a union and using the anti-trust laws to attack the lockout, which all fans should be happy with because it'll work.

"I assume the fans would like the lockout to end."

The NHL doesn't share that view.

The league's Board of Governors discussed the possibility of a "disclaimer of interest" on Dec. 5 and commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters afterwards that the NHL didn't see it as a significant threat.

"The board was completely and thoroughly briefed on the subject," said Bettman. "And we don't view it in the same way in terms of its impact as apparently the union may."

Time is running short to save the NHL season. All games through Jan. 14 have been cancelled and a new deal would need to be in place by about that time to salvage a 48-game schedule, the minimum Bettman says needs to be played.

There are currently no talks scheduled between the sides.

-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 22, 2012 C4

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Chief justices breakdown cameras in courtroom project

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Challenges of Life- Goose Goslings jump over railway tracks to catch up to their parents at the Canadian Pacific Railway terminalon Keewatin St in Winnipeg Thursday morning. The young goslings seem to normally hatch in the truck yard a few weeks before others in town- Standup photo- ( Day 4 of Bryksa’s 30 day goose project) - Apr 30, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A  young goose stuffed with bread from  St Vital park passers-by takes a nap in the shade Thursday near lunch  –see Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge Day 29-June 28, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What Western Conference teams will emerge from the first round of the NHL playoffs?

View Results

Ads by Google