May 25, 2017

cloudy

Winnipeg
18° C, Overcast

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Sabres owner soldiers on, takes edge off his Stanley Cup ambitions

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/4/2013 (1502 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula's objective to build a Stanley Cup contender remains the same. It's his three-year timeline that's proving unrealistic.

With Buffalo in jeopardy of missing the playoffs for a second straight year, Pegula said Saturday it's unclear how long it might take to rebuild the Sabres.

"You know, I don't know how long," Pegula said, before referring to Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, who is from Buffalo. "Jerry Jacobs down the road took 39 years to win a Stanley Cup. So I don't know how long. I'm not going to guarantee anybody anything, you know. You do your best every year."

The Sabres haven't been anywhere near good this season. They fired longtime coach Lindy Ruff after a 6-10-1 start in February, and are retooling their roster after trading away three veterans, including captain Jason Pominville, during the past month.

And Pegula's comments, his first since the season began in mid-January, are a substantial turnaround for him. He previously talked openly about the prospect of the Sabres winning a title within three seasons after he purchased them in February 2011.

"One team wins the Stanley Cup every year. We will build toward that goal," Pegula said.

Pegula spoke only briefly to reporters after taking part in a ground-breaking ceremony for a $172-million downtown hockey/entertainment complex he is building across the street from the Sabres' home.

He wasn't in a mood to say much about his slumping Sabres, who hosted the Philadelphia Flyers later in the afternoon. He declined answering a question about firing Ruff.

Pegula did draw parallels to his team and the plot of land on which the HARBORCenter complex will be built. He noted several construction proposals for the property had previously fallen through.

"I'm aware that along the way, this waterfront property has had its up and downs. Our plan for the Sabres is similar. I'm going to proceed into the future with that plan."

-- The Associated Press

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more

Top