NHL

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Sharks GM Doug Wilson vows to rebuild after playoff : 'We're a tomorrow team'

  • Print

SAN JOSE, Calif. - San Jose Sharks general manager Doug Wilson heads into an off-season of uncertainty expecting the team to take a step backward after 10 straight playoff berths failed to produce a trip to the Stanley Cup.

Wilson said the franchise is in a rebuilding stage that will turn the team over to younger players after a core led by stars Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau failed to deliver a title to San Jose.

The string of playoff disappointments was capped by blowing a 3-0 series lead in the first round to eventual Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles. But despite taking the Kings to seven games and finishing tied for the fourth most points this past regular season, Wilson said he believes the organization would be fooling itself if it believed simple tweaking was enough to get to the next level.

"The rebuild is a term that we haven't used a lot recently or probably in a long time," Wilson said Tuesday. "Historically every team in the league that has had success has probably gone through that phase. ... We know that we haven't accomplished what we want to accomplish."

Wilson made two off-season moves Tuesday in advance of next week's draft and the start of free agency. He signed goalie Alex Stalock to a two-year, $3.2 million contract and Mike Brown to a two-year $2.4 million deal to prevent both from becoming unrestricted free agents next month.

But bigger moves are sure to come if Wilson is going to achieve his goal of turning the team to players like Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture, Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Tomas Hertl.

"It comes with some pain," Wilson said. "The timeframe of that rebuild will be based upon the players that get added, the growth of some of the players that we have and how we manage it."

The Sharks have seven picks in this year's draft, including three in the first two rounds, and nine next year. Wilson said he will not trade those or prospects like last year's first-round pick Mirco Mueller for established veterans.

Wilson already traded defenceman Dan Boyle to the New York Islanders after announcing he would not re-sign him and has said that forward Marty Havlat will either be dealt of have the final year of his contract bought out.

But the bigger questions surround Thornton and Marleau, who have been the face of the franchise for nearly a decade. The two were among the most productive players on the team last season with Thornton ranking second in the NHL with 65 assists and Marleau ranking second on the team with 33 goals.

"There's tough decisions to be made," Wilson said. "I expect everybody to be professional, but some of that will be kept in confidence. That's how we've done things in the past and that's how we'll do it going forward."

Wilson signed both to three-year extensions in January even though they will both turn 35 before the start of next season. But now the question is do they still fit on a team committed to youth.

Trading either player could be difficult as both have no-movement clauses in their contracts and it is unlikely Wilson can get fair value in a trade.

But he also must decide whether keeping those players will stunt the development of the younger group and slow the rebuilding process.

"We now become a tomorrow team," Wilson said. "When you spell that out, it does create a response. Now, the tomorrow team, is it one year or two years? Time will tell on how our young players handle the responsibility given to them."

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Weather for final Fringing weekend

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

How surpised are you by the Bombers’ 4-1 start to the season?

View Results

Ads by Google