NHL

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Subban finally signs, just wants to play

But Habs will face Jets without him

  • Print

MONTREAL -- Now that the negotiations are over, P.K. Subban just wants to play hockey.

The gifted defenceman, who missed training camp and the first four games of the NHL season because of a contract dispute, agreed to a two-year deal worth US$5.75 million with the Montreal Canadiens on Monday.

"I'm happy to be at this point and I'm looking forward to reintegrating with the team and helping them win," Subban said on a conference call. "It was about getting a deal done that was fair to both sides."

Subban, who was a restricted free agent, will be paid a pro-rated $2 million this season and $3.75 million in 2013-14 for an annual salary cap hit of $2.875 million.

The 23-year-old will join the team on Wednesday in Ottawa, but it was unclear if he would play that night against the Senators. If not, he will likely begin his season Saturday afternoon at home against Buffalo.

Subban said he has stayed in shape training with the Ontario Hockey League's Mississauga Steelheads and is ready to play.

"I'm very anxious to get back on the ice," he said. "I'm always ready to play."

Subban led the Habs in average ice time per game at 24:18 last season. He had seven goals and 29 assists in 81 games and was seventh among NHL defencemen with 205 shots on goal.

He was also among the team's most popular players and was a hit with the media, even if his attraction to the TV cameras sometimes drew raised eyebrows from teammates.

His image took a hit with many fans during the contract talks, with some calling him selfish and demanding he be traded, but at least as many others took his side.

Debate raged among fans and media over what salary he deserved and whether he should be traded.

Both Subban and general manager Marc Bergevin said they weren't listening to what was being said, and concentrated on getting a deal done. It appears he got a bump from Bergevin's reported original offer of $5.1 million for two years.

Neither went into details of the negotiations, but it was believed Subban wanted a longer-term deal for more money and that the Canadiens insisted on a "bridge" contract of two years, likely with a longer deal to follow.

Bergevin, hailed by many on Twitter for holding firm, said there was no winner or loser.

"P.K. is happy with the deal," the first-year GM said. "I always wanted to sign him and keep him in the organization.

"That he wants to be on the team and help the team win shows he's not selfish. In any walk of life a little part of you is selfish, but the fact that P.K. wants to come in and help the team shows he puts the team first."

It was especially agonizing for Subban to watch games on television from his Toronto home and see his teammates get off to a 3-1-0 start without him.

But he dismissed a report last week that he had asked agent Don Meehan to accelerate the negotiations as "rumours."

 

-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 29, 2013 C2

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Humans of the Holidays

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A baby Red Panda in her area at the Zoo. International Red Panda Day is Saturday September 15th and the Assiniboine Park Zoo will be celebrating in a big way! The Zoo is home to three red pandas - Rufus, Rouge and their cub who was born on June 30 of this year. The female cub has yet to be named and the Assiniboine Park Zoo is asking the community to help. September 14, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Who should get more playing time in Jets net?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google