NHL

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Subban's thoughts rest with the fans

Canadiens player feels for supporters

  • Print

TORONTO -- After a summer of uncertainty, P.K. Subban is more concerned about the fans than himself.

The 23-year-old defenceman remains without a contract from the Montreal Canadiens and could be one of 750 players locked out by the NHL next week, but his worries run deeper than that when he surveys the league's current labour climate.

"Obviously, it's an unfortunate situation," Subban said Wednesday in an interview. "Nobody wants to see (a lockout). I think at this point you're more concerned about the fans and making sure that the fans don't get hurt because ultimately those are the people that support us.

"I think that that's the only downer about it, is just you don't want to see the fans get hurt."

The NHL's collective-bargaining-agreement talks remain on hold and the current agreement is set to expire on Sept. 15. If that date passes, the league will enact a lockout, which would be the third since 1994.

In recent weeks, commissioner Gary Bettman has said he shares the fans' desire of not wanting to see another work stoppage. He also credited the paying customers for helping the league rebound so strongly from the 2004-05 lockout.

"We recovered well last time because we have the world's greatest fans," Bettman said last month.

Subban hadn't even yet reached the Ontario Hockey League when that NHL season was cancelled eight years ago.

He admits it's been a little unusual preparing for a training camp that might not open as expected on Sept. 21. However, he expressed confidence in NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr and believes there's a deal to be made.

"As far as players go, all we know is playing hockey," said Subban. "That's what's gotten us to the NHL. We want to see a game on the ice, we just hope than the owners and our association can come to a fair agreement sooner than later.

"That's what we want out of this whole thing is just a fair agreement -- something that works for the players and works for the owners and works for the league."

Even with the start of the season up in the air, Subban is managing to keep busy. This week he helped launch Hyundai Hockey Helpers, which is a new program that will provide 1,000 needy children with grants of up to $500 to help pay for hockey equipment and registration fees.

The son of a Jamaican immigrant, Subban relied on hand-me-down equipment as a young boy and can identify with the struggles faced by many Canadian families.

 

-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 6, 2012 C5

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Mayor Bowman reacts to Caspian investigation

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Gardening Column- Assiniboine Park English Garden. July 19, 2002.
  • A young gosling prepares to eat dandelions on King Edward St Thursday morning-See Bryksa 30 Day goose challenge- Day 17- bonus - May 24, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Who should get more playing time in Jets net?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google