The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

BCCI secretary Patel says India threatened to form "second ICC" in order to force revamp

  • Print

NEW DELHI - India forced a revamp of the International Cricket Council by threatening the world body with forming a breakaway faction, according to the secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

"We were criticized and a lot of them did not agree but we told them that if India did not get its due and importance, we might be forced to form a second ICC," Sanjay Patel said at a function in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad on Saturday night.

The revamp of the ICC gives greater power and a greater share of revenues to India, England and Australia.

"England and Australia agreed and after that it was decided that from June 27 onwards the new structure will come into place. I would like to state that all 10 full members have signed the resolution," Patel said.

"India would play a leading role in the ICC and the reasons are well known. India is more or less responsible for 68 to 72 per cent of the ICC's gross revenue but unfortunately so far we were getting three to four per cent of it. We worked out that India should get 24 per cent, which works out to approximately $700-800 million," Patel said.

Suspended BCCI chief Narainswami Srinivasan was cleared by the Supreme Court to take over as the chairman of the ICC later this month despite an ongoing investigation of his potential role in corruption in the Indian Premier League.

Patel said that since the court had not restrained Srinivasan from running the world body, India will take a leading role in the ICC.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Drew Willy says team couldn't get anything going

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • PHIL.HOSSACK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100527-Winnipeg Free Press THe Provencher Foot Bridge is lit up
  • Winnipeg’s best friend the dragon fly takes a break at English Gardens in Assiniboine Park Wednesday- A dragon fly can eat  food equal to its own weight in 30 minutes-Standup photo- June 13, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Who are the real Bombers?

View Results

Ads by Google