Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/4/2014 (781 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers added a pair of Ontarians to their roster Wednesday, signing offensive lineman Eric Armitage and defensive back Kevin Prempeh.
Neither of Wednesday's additions has yet seen much CFL action. Armitage, at 6-4 and 308 pounds, finished his college football career with the Western Ontario Mustangs in 2012 and was a seventh-round Saskatchewan Roughriders draft pick last year. The Riders brought him to training camp but let him go before the season started.
Prempeh played three seasons of CIS football with the University of Concordia, where he recorded 32 solo tackles, two picks and nine pass knockdowns in 22 games. A Scarborough, Ont., product, the 6-3 back put up his best season last year.
The Bombers, meanwhile, are gearing up for their invite-only mini-camp in Florida, set to kick off on Sunday.
Taman, Chamblin staying put
REGINA -- Brendan Taman and Corey Chamblin are now tied at the hip.
Taman, the Saskatchewan Roughriders' general manager, signed an extension that keeps him under contract with the CFL club through the 2017 season. Last month, Taman re-signed Chamblin as the club's head coach for the next four seasons.
"Corey Chamblin is a big part of making me look good," Taman told reporters Wednesday. "I had a lot of faith in him when we hired him, and he continues to show that."
Taman also received a promotion, adding the title of vice-president of football operations to his job description.
"I'm excited about this," said Jim Hopson, the Riders' president and chief executive officer. "I think we have a good team, a good organization and we've got some people who are very important to making us a good organization, and Brendan is one of them.
"We need continuity, so with Brendan and Corey under contract through 2017, I feel really good as I look to the future."
Carano-Rousey fight explored
LOS ANGELES -- Gina Carano was scheduled to meet with UFC president Dana White on Wednesday night to discuss a return to mixed martial arts for a bout with bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey.
The long-rumoured match between the biggest stars in women's MMA history appears increasingly possible after White confirmed Carano's interest in fighting Rousey, arguably the UFC's biggest current star.
White dismissed any suggestion the fight would be a mismatch, saying he would be eager to pit the unbeaten Rousey against Carano, who hasn't fought since August 2009 while pursuing an acting career.
"(If Carano) is going to come back, (it's) because she wants this," White said Wednesday at a downtown Los Angeles hotel. "And if she says yes and she wants to do a deal, it's because she wants to fight Ronda."
Rousey said she would welcome the chance to fight Carano, the MMA pioneer whose television fights first exposed Rousey, a former U.S. Olympic medallist in judo, to the young sport.
Schilling updates cancer battle
Curt Schilling says he has completed chemotherapy and has radiation treatment ahead.
Schilling released a statement Feb. 5 saying he had cancer, and daughter Gabby tweeted the following week that he had undergone surgery.
The former pitcher said in a Twitter posting Tuesday night: "Chemo done, 5 radiations remain."
He has not said what type of cancer he has or the prognosis.
A six-time All-Star who was 216-146 from 1988-07, Schilling won World Series titles with Arizona in 2001 and with Boston in 2004 and '07. He was hired in December to be part of ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball broadcast crew, and ESPN said he will join the telecasts as soon as his health allows.
IOC anxious about Brazil '16
BELEK, Turkey -- With sports federations demanding a Plan B because of the chronic delays in Rio de Janeiro, the International Olympic Committee said Wednesday it was "premature" to speculate about taking the 2016 Olympic Games away from Brazil.
IOC president Thomas Bach and other Olympic officials said construction holdups and political paralysis have reached a critical point, requiring the IOC to take special measures to save the Games.
"It is about time for action," Bach said following an unprecedented public outpouring of criticism and complaints from international sports leaders about the lack of progress in Rio.
Several sports federations asked about contingency plans for their venues and one -- handball -- asked if there was a backup for the Games themselves if Rio isn't ready on time.
Asked whether there had been discussion of moving the Games out of Brazil, IOC spokesman Mark Adams stopped short of ruling it out.
"At this stage, that would be far too premature," he said. "We're not talking about Plan B. We're still talking about delivery of the games."
-- staff / news services