Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 3/9/2013 (1232 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
OUR picks for the five players to watch:
1. Nick Petan: He's heading back to junior but there is a buzz within the Jets organization about this player that's hard to ignore. Petan's size is the big question mark, but if he can play in NHL at 5-9, Winnipeg might have a No. 1 centre on their hands.
2. Mark Scheifele: The Jets would like to season Scheifele a bit in the AHL but a quick look at the organization's depth at centre says that's unlikely. Scheifele will have to get badly outplayed in training camp to not make the Jets opening night roster.
3. Jacob Trouba: If you talk to evaluators with other NHL teams they're all sure Trouba is NHL ready. The Jets, however, need to weigh Trouba's ability to contribute in the NHL against his development curve in the AHL. If it's better for Trouba to play in all situations in the AHL and log big minutes versus a minor role in the NHL, expect him to get some time in St. John's.
4. Joshua Morrissey: This year's first-round selection will have lots of eyes on him as he gets his feet wet as a pro. Book on Morrissey is he's a smart player with skill, but not a physical presence.
5. Adam Lowry: Lowry has rapidly developed since being drafted by the Jets and proved to be a consistent scorer at the WHL level. Size and skill but one major question mark -- whether he can skate well enough to be effective as a pro.