HE has long been the face of the B.C. Lions and last year became the CFL's all-time receiving yards leader. But all-star slotback Geroy Simon could be chasing the league's receptions record with a different team.
Lions GM Wally Buono said Wednesday he has given Simon permission to gauge interest in a potential trade that, if consummated, would see the 37-year-old finish his illustrious CFL career elsewhere.
"I have given Geroy's party the ability to investigate what's out there because sometimes a team is willing to be a little bit more open to a player," Buono said. "We're trying to resolve a situation with a player that's been a very very good player not only on the field but also in the community... out of respect to Geroy, we're trying to accommodate him."
Simon's future in B.C. has been a huge question this off-season. Simon has spent 12 of his 14 CFL seasons with the Lions and last year surpassed Milt Stegall as the league leader in all-time receiving yards (15,787).
But hamstring injuries forced Simon to miss five games in 2012, limiting him to 54 catches for 700 yards and two TDs. It marked the first time in 10 seasons Simon hadn't cracked the 1,000-yard plateau.
The six-foot, 198-pound native of Johnstown, Pa., needs just 29 catches to break Ben Cahoon's CFL-record 1,017 career receptions.
Neither Simon nor his agent, Vancouver-based Dan Vertlieb, were immediately available for comment. Once the Lions' season ended, Simon did say he was open to restructuring his contract, but if the CFL club didn't want him back he'd look to continue playing elsewhere.
Als seek bilingual coach
MONTREAL -- The Alouettes may be the next Montreal sports team with a bilingual coach.
Candidates to replace Marc Trestman will be headed to Florida for interviews this week, the CFL team announced Wednesday.
Team owner Bob Wetenhall said in a statement that the criteria for the new coach were to strive for a winning team, to be involved in the community and to work at "institutionalizing the franchise in Montreal.
"In this process we are paying special attention to reviewing possible candidates from Quebec as well as other candidates from Canada, especially those who are bilingual," he added. "In the end, I will select the candidate whom I believe is best qualified to continue with our mission."
Reports have said bilingual candidates may include former Edmonton Eskimos coach and GM and current University of Montreal coach Danny Maciocia, Laval University coach Glen Constantin and B.C. Lions offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine.
Sports betting website Bodog has Maciocia and Constantin listed as the co-favourites to take the job at 2-1. Former Winnipeg coach Paul LaPolice, who is not bilingual, is next at 5-2. Former Alouettes receiver Ben Cahoon is a longshot at 20-1.
The team has never made bilingualism a priority for its head coaches, who have all been American since the Alouettes returned to Montreal in 1996 after a 10-year hiatus.
Beckham's son to Chelsea
LONDON -- David Beckham's eldest son just might be the next person in his family to play in the Premier League.
Brooklyn Beckham, the oldest of Beckham's four children at 13, is having a trial with London club Chelsea and played in an under-14 game on Tuesday at the team's training base, people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the teenager's movements.
The Daily Mail newspaper website first reported the news on Wednesday.
Pictures were posted on Twitter of David Beckham watching Brooklyn playing on Tuesday.
David Beckham, a former England captain and Manchester United star, is currently mulling offers from clubs around the world after leaving the Los Angeles Galaxy following a six-year stint in Major League Soccer.
When David played in L.A., Brooklyn was in the Galaxy's youth team. Brooklyn still appears on the Galaxy website as being on the under-14 squad, but the family left Los Angeles last month and returned to England.
Detroit's White sidelined
DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings have lost another defenceman to an injury.
Red Wings general manager Ken Holland says Ian White will be out two to three weeks after having surgery Wednesday to repair a deep leg laceration. Holland says some muscles in White's leg had to be reattached during the surgery. White was hurt during Detroit's 2-1 loss to Dallas on Tuesday night.
Holland expects defenceman Jakub Kindl to play Friday at home against Minnesota and hopes defenceman Jonathan Ericsson will be in the lineup against the Wild.
The Red Wings will be without defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo for about a month with a shoulder injury. They tried to bolster their blue line on Tuesday by signing 33-year-old defenceman Kent Huskins to a one-year contract.
Cowboys' Ratliff arrested
DALLAS -- Police say Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman Jay Ratliff didn't seem drunk at first when they pulled him over this week.
The 31-year-old Ratliff was arrested shortly after midnight Tuesday on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. Ratliff was arrested after his pickup truck sideswiped a semitrailer truck in Grapevine, 20 miles northwest of Dallas.
A search warrant affidavit released Wednesday says Ratliff did not appear to show any signs of intoxication at first. Grapevine police Officer Eric Barch says he investigated further because nighttime wrecks often involve drunken drivers and people in good physical shape can hide signs of intoxication.
Last month, Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent was indicted on an intoxicated manslaughter count in the Dec. 8 crash that killed his friend and Cowboys practice squad member Jerry Brown.
Bonus days for Napoli
NEW YORK -- Mike Napoli has two ways to boost his income with the Boston Red Sox to $13 million this year: stay on the active roster for at least 165 days or get 625 plate appearances with at least 120 days on the roster.
Napoli and Boston reached a $39 million, three-year agreement on Dec. 3, subject to a physical. After doctors detected a hip condition, the sides finalized a one-year deal Tuesday guaranteeing $5 million and allowing him to earn $8 million in bonuses.
Napoli would get the full $8 million for 165 days on the active roster, not including the disabled list.
Sharks sign Gomez
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The San Jose Sharks have signed free agent centre Scott Gomez to a one-year deal.
Terms of the deal announced Wednesday were not released.
Gomez, a 12-year NHL veteran and two-time all-star, had two goals and nine assists in 38 games with Montreal last season.
Seau's family sues NFL
ADD Junior Seau's family to the thousands of people who are suing the NFL over the long-term damage caused by concussions.
Seau's ex-wife and four children sued the league Wednesday, saying the former linebacker's suicide was the result of brain disease caused by violent hits he sustained while playing football.
The wrongful death lawsuit, filed in California Superior Court in San Diego, blames the NFL for its "acts or omissions" that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. ISeau died at age 43 of a self-inflicted gunshot in May.
-- from the news services