LAS VEGAS -- Free time is about to run out for Floyd Mayweather Jr., who is due to begin a three-month jail sentence in Las Vegas stemming from a hair-pulling, arm-twisting attack in September 2010 on the mother of three of his children.
The unbeaten five-division boxing champion's legal and ring advisers weren't immediately commenting Thursday about Mayweather's scheduled Friday morning surrender before Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa.
The judge sentenced him Dec. 22 for his guilty plea to reduced charges in the domestic battery case.
Sore Slattery takes lead
NEWPORT -- Lee Slattery overcame a sore wrist and windy conditions to shoot an opening round 4-under 67 Thursday for a one-shot lead at the Wales Open.
Marcel Siem of Germany was second after a 68.
Slattery said on his website he struggled with a wrist injury during last week's BMW PGA Championship and it contributed to him missing the cut. The Englishman made any wrist pain look meaningless despite the tough pin positions at Celtic Manor.
Ryder Cup hopeful Paul Lawrie struggled to master the windy conditions, shooting 3 over par.
Miguel Angel Jimenez, who played a part in winning the trophy for Europe when the event was staged at Celtic Manor in 2010, struggled to a 76.
Ronaldinho sues team
SAO PAULO, Brazil -- Ronaldinho's stint with Brazil's most popular club is over after the player decided to sue Flamengo for reportedly $20 million for unpaid salaries and payments.
Ronaldinho's lawyer Gislaine Nunes said on Thursday a judge ruled in favour of the player's request to have his contract terminated. They want the club to pay everything they claim it owes to the two-time world player of the year in wages and other rights.
"His contract has been terminated," Nunes said. "Flamengo has already been notified. Now we are demanding a very high amount in compensation, of course, which he has the right to receive by contract."
Flamengo said it was surprised with Ronaldinho's decision.
"We didn't expect an attitude like this," club president Patricia Amorim said. "Now the case is in the hands of our legal department, which will take the necessary legal measures to defend the interests of Flamengo."
-- from the news services