The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Warrant issued for mixed martial arts fighter accused of attacking ex-girlfriend in Las Vegas

  • Print

LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Police are looking for a mixed martial arts fighter and porn actor after his girlfriend posted graphic photos of her swollen and beaten face online and said the man, known as War Machine, beat her and a friend so severely that she feared for her life.

The woman, Christy Mack, said she was able to eventually escape out a back door and run naked through her neighbourhood, knocking on doors until someone helped her get to a hospital.

Court records filed Monday say the 32-year-old is wanted on suspicion of domestic battery, strangulation, lewdness, assault and coercion in the attack early Friday. The fighter's name was Jon Koppenhaver until he legally changed it to War Machine in 2008.

Koppenhaver, who appeared on the reality show "The Ultimate Fighter," did not immediately respond to a voicemail seeking comment Tuesday. Police issued a warrant for his arrest.

Bellator MMA President Scott Coker said his promotional company is dissolving its contract with the fighter in light of the accusations.

"We have a zero tolerance policy here at Bellator when it relates to any form of domestic violence," Coker said in a statement.

Mack posted photos and a statement about the alleged attack on her official Twitter account Monday. Mack has appeared in dozens of pornographic movies, according to her IMDB profile.

She said in the statement that Koppenhaver showed up unannounced at her house, found her and her friend unarmed, and beat her friend without uttering a word.

Mack said Koppenhaver sent away the friend and turned to her, forcing her to shower before knocking out some of her teeth and breaking bones in her face. She wrote that she feared for her life as he sawed off her hair with a dull knife.

She said Koppenhaver had been abusive in the past and broke up with her in May.

"After many months of fear and pressure to keep this man happy," Mack wrote, "I feel that I can no longer put myself in this situation."

The welterweight fighter made his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut during the 2007 season of "The Ultimate Fighter," but he didn't last long for the promotion.

Koppenhaver lost his only pay-per-view bout in 2008 and moved on to fight for a variety of MMA promotions over the past five years. He fought three times for Bellator last year, losing his final bout in October 2013.

Koppenhaver, who also starred in porn films, has run into a string of legal issues over the years. His record includes a 2012 conviction for attempt to commit battery with substantial bodily harm.

___

Associated Press Researcher Rhonda Shafner in New York contributed to this report.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

J.P. Vigier’s Whiteboard: Coach Maurice’s first full season

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A Canada goose protects her nest full of eggs Monday on campus at the University of Manitoba- Standup photo- Apr 30, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local/Standup- BABY BISON. Fort Whyte Centre's newest mother gently nudges her 50 pound, female bull calf awake. Calf born yesterday. 25 now in herd. Four more calfs are expected over the next four weeks. It is the bison's second calf. June 7, 2002.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

How many goals do you think Evander Kane will score this year?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google