The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Sri Lanka says Senanayake banned from bowling by ICC after action found to be illegal

  • Print

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Off spinner Sachithra Senanayake has been banned from international cricket after his bowling action was deemed illegal following biomechanical tests, Sri Lanka Cricket said Saturday.

The governing body said in a statement that it had received a report from the International Cricket Council that concluded Senanayake bowls with an illegal action — exceeding the permitted 15-degree elbow extension while delivering the ball.

The Sri Lanka bowler was reported by the match officials for a suspect action after the fourth one-day international match against England in May. However, he was permitted to play until he underwent tests and reports received.

Senanayake was part of Sri Lanka's lineup for the third and final one-day international against South Africa on Saturday. He opened the bowling from one end, claiming the wicket of top-scorer Quinton de Kock to finish with 1-66 off 10 overs. South Africa won the match by 82 runs.

Senanayake's bowling style hadn't previously been reported since his international debut in January 2012. He will now be required to remedy his action and undergo more tests before being allowed to bowl again.

Senanayake has played in 37 one-day internationals and picked up 40 wickets at an average of 34.82. He has also taken 18 wickets in 17 Twenty20 internationals at 16.66 runs apiece. In his only test appearance against Pakistan at the turn of the year, Senanayake finished with 0-96.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Key of Bart: No Time Left for Stu

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Which Jets prospect has the best chance of making NHL team this season?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google