The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

World Cup winners Victor Matfield, Schalk Burger back in South Africa squad

  • Print

CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Victor Matfield and Schalk Burger are in the frame to play at their fourth Rugby World Cup after they were recalled Monday to South Africa's squad following a three-year absence.

The veteran forwards, who both last played for their country at the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand, were part of a 36-man Springboks group named by coach Heyneke Meyer. Meyer will trim the squad at the end of the month ahead of a game against a World XV and tests against Wales and Scotland in June.

Openside flanker Heinrich Brussow also made the first squad of the season after being out of contention for three years, while Meyer picked eight uncapped players, including former sevens internationals Cornal Hendricks and S'bura Sithole. Overseas-based players weren't considered for this squad with the exception of scrumhalf Fourie du Preez.

The inclusion of Matfield and Burger were further indications that Meyer is prepared to give experienced campaigners a chance at playing at next year's World Cup in England. Matfield and Burger both won the World Cup with the Boks in 2007, as did du Preez, who was again included by Meyer after being brought back last season.

Meyer said Matfield and Burger were "hungry for test rugby yet again" after their long absences.

"I know both of them can still add a lot of value to the team with the Rugby World Cup in 2015 looming," Meyer said in a statement.

Second-rower Matfield is 37 and has played 110 tests for South Africa. He is in his comeback season in Super Rugby after reversing his decision to retire after the last World Cup. The 31-year-old Burger, who has 68 test caps, struggled with injury and illness over the past three years but the loose forward is getting regular game time in Super Rugby again. The pair's last game for the Springboks was the 2011 World Cup quarterfinal defeat to Australia.

Meyer was also able to include Eben Etzebeth in his pre-season plans after the big lock had surgery on a foot injury late last year. Flyhalf Johan Goosen returned to the national fold but No. 8 Pierre Spies, utility back Pat Lambie and centre Jaque Fourie were out with injuries.

The uncapped players were wing Hendricks, centre Sithole, lock Lood de Jager, loose forward Teboho Mohoje, prop Marcel van der Merwe, flanker Jacques du Plessis, flyhalf Marnitz Boshoff and centre Damian De Allende. The squad will gather for a training camp in Durban next week.

South Africa plays a World XV on June 7 and hosts two tests against Wales on June 14 and 21 and a one-off test against Scotland on June 28.

___

Gerald Imray is on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GeraldImrayAP

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Tree remover has special connection to Grandma Elm

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Two Canada geese fly Wednesday afternoon at Oak Hammock Marsh- Front bird is banded for identification- Goose Challenge Day 3- - Apr 30, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Who are the real Bombers?

View Results

Ads by Google