The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
A threat to World Cup averted: Brazil's Homeless Movement withdraws vow to stage big protests
SAO PAULO - One of the Brazilian movements behind recent demonstrations against the World Cup says it will not stage protests during the monthlong event that begins Thursday in Sao Paulo.
Guilherme Boulos is the head of the Homeless Workers Movement. He says in an emailed statement the government has agreed to its demands for low-cost housing.
He says that the government is promising to build 2,000 houses on land invaded last month by some 5,000 people just 2 miles (3 kilometres) from the stadium where the tournament's opening match will be played.
The movement had pledged to stage massive demonstrations during the World Cup if its demands were not met.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)08/1/2014 9:48 PM 0
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - Brian Brown scored on a header two minutes after entering the game to help the Philadelphia ...