The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Deco cleared of doping after Rio de Janeiro lab's errors are exposed

  • Print

LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Brazilian-born Portugal player Deco has been cleared of doping because of faulty testing by a Rio de Janeiro laboratory which has since been suspended from World Cup duty.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport said Tuesday that a settlement between Deco, the Brazilian football federation and FIFA annulled his one-year ban which was imposed last September.

"It could not be established that (Deco) has committed an anti-doping rule violation," the CAS's published ruling said.

The lab, known as LADETEC, is further discredited after being suspended by the World Anti-Doping Agency last August.

It was then dropped from the World Cup testing program, forcing FIFA to organize and pay for flying players' samples to Lausanne.

The lab's intended role in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics is also unclear because of its competence issues. It was previously exposed for mistakenly labelling a volleyball player as a doper.

The case against Deco, who retired last year, collapsed when his samples were re-tested in Lausanne.

The 36-year-old playmaker allegedly tested positive for two banned substances in early 2013 after playing in a Rio state championship match for Fluminense.

The lab said his samples contained hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic which can mask the presence of other drugs, and tamoxifen, which can help cope with the side effects of using steroids.

Lausanne lab director Martial Saugy recommended "first that WADA investigates directly with the Rio lab on the reliability of the results," the court ruling said.

Saugy noted that Deco's samples arrived in Switzerland in an "unusual container" and that the "chain of custody cannot be guaranteed."

Deco played for Portugal at the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, and for European clubs sides Barcelona, Chelsea and Porto.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.