The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Egyptian FA says WCup playoff to go ahead in Cairo, fans allowed in for 1st time since 2011
CAIRO - Egypt plans to host its first international match in Cairo since 2011, ignoring calls to stage its World Cup playoff against Ghana at a neutral venue because of ongoing political unrest.
Egypt's Football Association spokesman Azmy Megahed said Tuesday the defence ministry had authorized the "full capacity" of Cairo's 30,000-seat Air Defence stadium for the second leg match on Nov. 19.
Egypt has mainly played behind closed doors since a stadium riot in Port Said in February 2012.
Next month's game, which follows a 6-1 win for Ghana last week, will decide which team reaches the 2014 World Cup.
Ghana's FA has asked FIFA to move the match because of often deadly protests in Cairo.
FIFA has given Egypt until Oct. 28 to provide "comprehensive security assurances" for the game.
(1 of 5 articles for today)7:04 AM 0
MADRID - Real Madrid says forward Gareth Bale has the flu and will miss the team's Copa del Rey opener ...