The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

FIFA's Valcke optimistic World Cup opener in Brazil will be successful despite stadium delay

  • Print

SAO PAULO - FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke doesn't expect the World Cup opener in Sao Paulo to be affected by the construction delays at the stadium where a crane collapse killed two workers last year.

Valcke visited the Itaquerao stadium on Monday to begin FIFA's first inspection tour of the year ahead of June's World Cup. He will visit three other host cities before meeting with local organizers in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday.

"In a way I would say the pressure is a little bit bigger here," Valcke said at a news conference at the Itaquerao. "It's the first game. It has to be a success. The world will be watching."

He said he was satisfied with the work at the venue and expects there will be enough time for test events after its completion in April. The World Cup begins on June 12 with Brazil playing Croatia.

"We will do all that we can to make sure this opening game is a success," Valcke said.

The Itaquerao made headlines in November after the crane collapsed while hoisting a 500-ton roofing structure, killing the two workers and causing significant construction delays.

The venue was among the six that missed the December deadline established by FIFA for all World Cup stadiums. The Itaquerao is not expected to be ready until mid-April, about two months before football's showcase event.

The crane that collapsed was removed last week but part of the roofing structure remains in place. Local authorities said the stadium is 97 per cent completed, with nearly 30,000 of the nearly 70,000 seats already installed.

Valcke met with Sao Paulo Mayor Fernando Haddad and was to travel to Cuiaba later Monday to visit the Arena Pantanal. On Tuesday, he is expected to be in the southern city of Curitiba to inspect the Arena da Baixada, one of the most delayed among the six that still have to be delivered.

The trip to Curitiba was not originally scheduled for this week's inspection tour, but FIFA added a stop there after receiving "the latest construction report" from local organizers. Valcke was initially expected to go to the jungle city of Manaus.

Brazil promised to deliver all 12 World Cup stadiums by the end of last year but only the six that were used during the Confederations Cup were ready. Four of those had already missed the deadline for the warm-up tournament this year.

On Wednesday, the Arena das Dunas in the northeastern city of Natal will be the latest to be delivered. Valcke will be there for the inauguration ceremony along with Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, who will then travel to Zurich for a meeting with FIFA President Sepp Blatter along with Brazil Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo.

Valcke said FIFA has already received nearly 10 million ticket requests for the World Cup, the most ever for the football tournament.

___

Follow Tales Azzoni at http://twitter.com/tazzoni

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.