Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Madrid rally eliminates Man United

Ronaldo scores winner against old club

  • Print

Just like 10 years ago, a Ronaldo scored at Old Trafford to send Real Madrid through in the Champions League and eliminate Manchester United.

Back then it was the Brazilian Ronaldo, who scored a memorable hat trick.

This time it was Cristiano Ronaldo, back at United for the first time since leaving four years ago, who was on the score sheet. And the Portugal forward opted not to celebrate the goal that clinched a 2-1 victory Tuesday for the nine-time champions and a place in the quarter-finals for the third season running.

"I am happy inside because Madrid got through," Ronaldo said after the 3-2 aggregate win. "But on the other hand I feel a little bit sad because of Manchester United."

The last-16 encounter had been pointing toward a United win at the start of the second half when Sergio Ramos deflected Nani's cross into his own net to give the hosts a 2-1 aggregate lead.

But the game swung back in Madrid's favour in the 56th minute when Nani was sent off for a studs-up, flying challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa.

Madrid took control of the last-16 encounter with two goals in three minutes, with Luka Modric netting a powerful equalizer off the post in the 66th before Ronaldo's 40th goal of the season.

The goal devastated the home fans, who had cheered Ronaldo before his first match at Old Trafford since swapping Manchester for Madrid for a world record 80 million pounds (then $131 million) in 2009.

"Mentally it was not easy for Ronaldo," Madrid manager Jose Mourinho said.

But a night that started with affection for Ronaldo and a 1,000th career appearance for United's Ryan Giggs, ended in acrimony from the hosts aggrieved by the red card.

At the final whistle, Giggs was angrily pointing at referee Cuneyt Cakir as Rio Ferdinand sarcastically clapped in his face, and manager Alex Ferguson made his fury clear on the touchline.

It was a defeat that was hard to take for United -- and there was sympathy from Mourinho.

A man so often linked with one day replacing the 71-year-old Ferguson at Old Trafford endeared himself to the United crowd by walking off the pitch without celebrating, in stark contrast to his charge down the touchline during a win as FC Porto manager here in 2004.

"We didn't play well, we didn't deserve to win," Mourinho said. "Independent of that (the red card) the best team lost."

Ferguson was so angered by the sending off that he didn't face the media after the match, sending assistant Mike Phelan in his place.

"We had thought we had got the tactics right in game, which was such a big occasion -- we felt as though we were comfortable at times," Phelan said.

"Everyone is wondering what had happened and why it happened," he added. "We had a very distraught dressing room and a very distraught manager -- and that's why I'm sat here in front of you now."

There was a big gamble by Ferguson before the match, dropping a star from the starting lineup just like 10 years ago.

For David Beckham in 2003, read Wayne Rooney in 2013.

Even Rooney's wife expressed dismay at the decision, with Coleen tweeting: "Can't believe (at) WayneRooney isn't starting tonight!!!"

-- The Associated Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 6, 2013 C6

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.