The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Manchester City starts Premier League title defence with 2-0 win at Newcastle

  • Print

NEWCASTLE, England - Manchester City began its Premier League title defence with a 2-0 victory over Newcastle on Sunday, with goals by David Silva and Sergio Aguero putting the champions on top of the fledgling standings.

With a professional, assured start to the season, City showed at St. James' Park why it will be tough to stop the team winning a third title in four years.

Silva opened the scoring in the 38th minute with a left-foot shot inside the area past Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul, having run on to a clever backheeled pass by Edin Dzeko.

Aguero began on the bench as he is short of full fitness after the World Cup but the Argentina striker quickly hit his scoring stride, slotting home a finish in injury time after his first attempt was saved by Tim Krul.

"It was very important for us to start with a win," City manager Manuel Pellegrini said. "We talked to the squad about the two 'H's — hungry and humble. We need both if want to continue winning titles and improve on what we did last season. We didn't have any clean sheets in preseason but we were very solid in this game."

City's win remained in doubt until Aguero struck, with Newcastle applying pressure late on but failing to work visiting goalkeeper Joe Hart.

Substitute Ayoze Perez had a shot deflected just wide of the far post before Moussa Sissoko blazed over the bar.

"I feel a little bit disappointed we have lost and the scoreline is slightly flattering to them," Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said. "I felt if we had got an equalizer we could have gone on to win, because we looked fitter and stronger.

"Our fans are good judges and I think they've seen enough to believe we're going to give it a real good go this season."

Fabricio Coloccini and Vincent Kompany, the captains of the two teams, and former Sunderland goalkeeper Jimmy Montgomery laid wreaths on the centre circle before kickoff in honour of two Newcastle fans who were among the 298 people to be killed when Malaysia Airlines flight 17 was shot down over Ukraine last month.

There was also a minute's silence for the two supporters, John Alder and Liam Sweeney.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.