The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

ATP cancels inaugural Israel Open tennis tournament over security concerns

  • Print

TEL AVIV, Israel - The ATP tour on Monday cancelled the inaugural Israel Open that was set to be played next month in Tel Aviv because of security concerns "arising from the military conflict in the region."

The tournament was set to be held Sept. 15-21 and would have been the first ATP tournament held in Israel since 1996.

But amid Israel's military campaign against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, ATP President Chris Kermode said "we do not feel we can proceed as planned given the situation in the region."

"Ensuring the security of our players, fans and all those involved in organizing a world-class event, is our No. 1 priority," Kermode said in a statement. "We hope to be back in Tel Aviv next year. In the meantime, and much more importantly, we hope for a swift return to peace in the region."

The tournament was meant to replace an event previously hosted in St. Petersburg, Russia, on the ATP calendar.

Asaf Tochmeir, the chairman of the Israeli Tennis Association, said he regretted the decision.

"We at the ITA have done everything to ensure a successful ATP event takes place in Israel," Tochmeir said. "We have raised sufficient funding and have taken care of all organizational requirements.

"On this occasion, I would like to express our most heartfelt concern for the soldiers as well as our condolences for the civilian casualties. We hope to see a swift resolution to the current situation."

Israel and Hamas on Monday accepted an Egyptian cease-fire proposal meant to halt a monthlong war. The bloody conflict broke out on July 8 when Israel launched an air campaign in response to heavy rocket fire out of Hamas-controlled Gaza.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Lindor Reynolds speaks candidly about life with terminal cancer

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS 060710 The full moon rises above the prairie south of Winnipeg Monday evening.
  • June 25, 2013 - 130625  -  A storm lit up Winnipeg Tuesday, June 25, 2013. John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press - lightning

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Who has been the biggest disappointment on the Jets to start the season?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google