The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Estrella Burgos, 1st Dominican at major since 1956, loses in 1st round of French Open

  • Print

PARIS - Victor Estrella Burgos became the first player from the Dominican Republic in more than a half-century to compete in a Grand Slam tennis tournament, losing 6-1, 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-4 to Jerzy Janowicz of Poland in the first round of the French Open on Sunday.

The only other Dominican in the main draw of a major was Manuel Morales, who lost in the first round of the 1956 French Open, according to the International Tennis Federation.

"This day, I'll remember. I'm never going to forget," said Estrella Burgos, who saved a match point in the third-set tiebreaker. "When I get into the court, I almost want to cry for the first time. There are so many people from the Dominican who come to see me."

Estrella Burgos mostly plays on the lower-level Challenger tour. In March, he became the first Dominican to break into the top 100 of the ATP rankings.

"I didn't know him at all. I have never seen him playing," said the 22nd-seeded Janowicz, a Wimbledon semifinalist last year. "I didn't what to expect."

Estrella Burgos turned pro in 2002, but soon put his career on hold to work as a coach.

"There are a lot of players in the Dominican, we play very good when we're 18, 20 years old," Estrella Burgos said. "But after, they think just about going to the university."

The 33-year-old Dominican resumed his career but then thought about retiring after injuring his right elbow in 2012. His decision to keep playing led him all the way to Roland Garros.

"I have a lot of friends, already they start textingm" Estrella Burgos said. "I have to switch off the phone."

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Glenn January won't blame offensive line for first loss

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A baby Red Panda in her area at the Zoo. International Red Panda Day is Saturday September 15th and the Assiniboine Park Zoo will be celebrating in a big way! The Zoo is home to three red pandas - Rufus, Rouge and their cub who was born on June 30 of this year. The female cub has yet to be named and the Assiniboine Park Zoo is asking the community to help. September 14, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • horse in sunset - marc gallant

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

How surpised are you by the Bombers’ 4-1 start to the season?

View Results

Ads by Google