The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

For 1st time in more than a century, zero men or women from US reach round of 16 at Wimbledon

  • Print

LONDON - For the first time in more than a century, no American singles players reached the round of 16 at Wimbledon.

The last two of 23 U.S. entrants departed Monday. First, Madison Keys withdrew because of a strained left thigh before the scheduled resumption of her third-round match that was suspended because of darkness on Saturday. Then, No. 9 John Isner lost his third-round match despite hitting 52 aces, eliminated 6-7 (8), 7-6 (6), 7-6 (3), 7-5 by 19th-seeded Feliciano Lopez of Spain.

Not since 1911 had zero U.S. men or women participated in the round of 16 at Wimbledon, according to the International Tennis Federation. That year, no American women even entered the tournament and only three men did.

This year, there were 13 women from the United States, including No. 1-seeded Serena Williams, a five-time Wimbledon champion who lost her third-round match Saturday. There were 10 U.S. men in the field, but Isner was the only one ranked inside the top 65.

Told how long it's been without any Americans sticking around for the latter stages at the All England Club, Isner replied: "I didn't know that. Don't really care, either."

He could be excused for tiring of those sorts of statistics and questions, which have been adding up.

Last year at Wimbledon, no American men made it to the third round. No man from the country has played in the quarterfinals at any Grand Slam tournament since 2011, and the last to win a major championship was the now-retired Andy Roddick at the 2003 U.S. Open.

"Some of this is cyclical. Some of it is we've done a poor job," seven-time major champion John McEnroe, a TV analyst for ESPN and the BBC, said before Wimbledon began.

"We got, maybe, 'spoiled' is an accurate word. We expected there would be more (Jimmy) Connors, Pete Samprases, (Andre) Agassis," McEnroe said. "Because of the worldwide interest in sports, if you go back to the '88 Olympics, when tennis became part of the Olympics again, more countries put more money and resources into it to allow more kids to play tennis, so more countries have more of an interest and they see the upside of it. That same thing hasn't happened for us in the U.S."

The Czech Republic, for example, has three women into the quarterfinals at Wimbledon. Canada has one woman that far, and one man in the fourth round.

Lopez gives Spain three men in the fourth round, along with Rafael Nadal and Tommy Robredo.

"When you beat players like John, when you go through a difficult match like this, you have to be proud of yourself," said Lopez, who hit 34 aces and saved the only two break points he faced. "To beat Johnny on that court is such is difficult task."

Lopez earned the only service break of the match in the next-to-last game with a cross-court backhand passing winner that he celebrated by leaping and punching the air. It was the only time Isner was broken during his three matches this year at the All England Club.

"I just couldn't get into his serve games. For me it was hard," said Isner, best known for winning the longest match in tennis history, 70-68 in the fifth set at Wimbledon in 2010. "I tried, I tried, and I just couldn't break through."

___

Follow Howard Fendrich on Twitter at http://twitter.com/HowardFendrich

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Can Steeves or Bowman catch Wasylycia-Leis?

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Someone or thing is taking advantage of the inactivity at Kapyong Barracks,hundreds of Canada Geese-See Joe Bryksa’s goose a day for 30 days challenge- Day 15- May 22, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

How many wins do you think the Bombers will finish with this season?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google