The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Wozniacki, Kerber advance to Eastbourne semis; Kvitova out with hamstring injury

  • Print

EASTBOURNE, England - Former champions Caroline Wozniacki and Ekaterina Makarova headed in different directions in the Aegon International quarterfinals on Thursday.

Wozniacki, champion in 2009, held off a strong challenge from Camila Giorgi of Italy 6-7 (7), 6-4, 6-2.

Makarova, the 2010 champ from Russia, fell to fifth seed Angelique Kerber 6-2, 6-1, with the German avenging her second-round defeat to Makarova last year.

Meanwhile, 2011 Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova withdrew with a right hamstring injury but expects to play in Wimbledon next week.

Wozniacki and Giorgi were interrupted in the second set when a spectator was removed from the stands on a stretcher as Giorgi led 4-3 on serve. When play resumed, Giorgi failed to win a break point to lead 5-3 and Wozniacki went on to win three straight games to level at one-set all.

Wozniacki remained under pressure in the final set, fighting off two break points before breaking to lead 2-1. A double-fault at 4-2 left Wozniacki serving for victory, and in sight of her first title since October.

"It feels good," Wozniacki said of her win. "Game feels in really good shape. Camila played really well. I really had to be focused out there."

Kerber fought off four break points just to hold for 1-1 before taking charge against Makarova, breaking twice to take the set. In the second set, she needed four break points to win the first game before once more dominating Makarova.

"It was not as easy as the score said, because there were tough rallies," Kerber said. "She's a great player on grass, so I was just focusing on me, trying to be aggressive and take my chances. I did a good job."

Kvitova's withdrawal gave British wild card Heather Watson a walkover into the semifinals.

Watson will meet Madison Keys, who beat fellow American Lauren Davis, a qualifier, 6-2, 6-1. Wozniacki faces Kerber.

Men's top seed Richard Gasquet also reached the semis, beating Slovak Martin Klizan 6-3, 6-4. It is his third semifinal of the year and comes after he was sidelined for more than three months with a back injury.

The Frenchman, who claimed the title in 2005 and 2006 when the event was held in Nottingham, broke for 3-1. That was enough to earn him the opening set, and in the second set he again fought off a break point before breaking to lead 4-3.

Gasquet is playing only his third tournament since March, and admits that although he is progressing he is still not fully fit.

"It's always difficult to come back," Gasquet said. "You are questioning yourself every day on your body. I'm not 100 per cent on my game and everything, but I'm playing better and better. I served well. I could play with power."

Gasquet will next play Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan, who beat Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France 7-6 (5), 6-2.

Spanish defending champion Feliciano Lopez will play his quarterfinal against Jeremy Chardy of France on Friday after the match was cancelled overnight due to rain. The winner will play Sam Querrey, also on Friday, after the American beat Frenchman Julien Benneteau 7-6 (5), 6-4.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Steeves wants to divert BRT cash to rec centres

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 110621 - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 -  Doug Chorney, president Keystone Agricultural Producers flight over South Western Manitoba to check on the condition of farming fields. MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
my2011poy
  • A goose flys defensively to protect their young Wednesday near Kenaston Blvd and Waverley -See Bryksa 30 Day goose challenge- Day 16 - May 23, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think Ray Rice should be given a lifetime ban from the NFL?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google