The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Three Canadians set new record at race walk event in Taicang, China
TAICANG, China - A trio of race walkers dipped below the Canadian record in the men's 20-kilometre race walk on Sunday at the 2014 IAAF World Race Walking Cup in Taicang, China today.
Overall five athletes registered personal best performances, including a team best ever performance by the men, in the two-day event.
Evan Dunfee of Richmond, B.C., Vancouver's Inaki Gomez and Ben Thorne of Kitimat, B.C., all bested the Canadian record time in the men's 20-kilometre event. Dunfee finished 11th in one hour 20 minutes 13 seconds, Inaki Gomez was 12th in 1:20:18 and Benjamin Thorne was 13th in 1:20:19.
The previous Canadian record of 1:20:58 was held by Gomez and set at the 2012 Olympic Games.
Bruno Carriere of Lachute, Que., also finished with a personal best in the men's 20-kilometre race walk clocking in at 1:33:08. Creighton Connolly was disqualified.
The men's team finished fourth overall, just one point off the podium, the best finish registered by a Canadian team ever at this event.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 6 articles for today)11:26 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- O'Shea plays down praise he's getting for turning the Bombers around
- New Jets look a lot like old Jets
- Jets re-sign forward Matt Halischuk
- Week 6 CFL picks
- Stern believes Sterling controversy will 'end well' for the NBA, praises Silver's leadership
- Five storylines
- Kelly in as injury sidelines top-receiver Moore
- Improving defence a work in progress
- Frolik controls his future with one-year deal
- Blue puts the boots to Lions
- Life's a beach for Winnipeg volleyball player
- O'Shea says Bombers' win over B.C. Lions shows team is resilient
- Jets sign Frolik to one-year deal
- Willy? Yes, he will: Bombers pivot, like his team, improving all the time
- Hallelujah for Hajrullahu
- Moore sees his best performance yet in Bombers vs. B.C. game (and other highlights)
- Huge windfall for winner of 50-50 charity draw at Edmonton Eskimos game
- Greaves returning to Bombers lineup
- Win makes homecoming sweet
Ads by Google