A series of solar-powered cameras, added to the province’s road weather information system, will allow drivers check road conditions before heading out.
Infrastructure and Transportation Minster Steve Ashton unveiled the online camera system today at the Manitoba Legislative Building.
The cameras take photos every 10 minutes and transmit updated photos of road conditions to the provincial highways website, Ashton said.
Website visitors can view photographs of current conditions at eight locations:
- Highway 1 at Highway 34 (near Austin)
- Highway 1 at Highway 41 (Kirkella)
- Highway 1 and 13 (east of Portage la Prairie)
- Highway 5 south of Ste. Rose du Lac
- Highway 10 at Souris River
- Highway 16 west of Russell
- Highway 75 and 305 (near Ste. Agathe)
- Highway 75 and 14 (near Saint Jean Baptiste)
Provincial officials said in a release they plan to add more cameras in the future, including locations on the Trans-Canada, Highway 6 and Highway 10.