The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Longtime CNN host and media reporter Howard Kurtz shifting to Fox News

  • Print

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Media watchdog Howard Kurtz, host of CNN's "Reliable Sources" for 15 years, said Thursday that he's jumping to Fox News Channel.

Kurtz will host another Sunday morning media criticism show to replace the current "Fox News Watch." He'll also appear as an on-air analyst across the network during the week and write a column for the network's website on social media news and industry trends.

His jump comes less than two months after Kurtz was interviewed on his own show to apologize for and explain a series of mistakes he had made in a story about basketball player Jason Collins, who had announced he was gay. Kurtz said the incident did not play a role in his exit from CNN, that the timing of it and his contract renewal were coincidental.

"The folks at CNN have been nothing but gracious to me during my 15 years of hosting 'Reliable Sources' but this is a chance to create a new franchise and play a larger role," he said.

Michael Clemente, Fox's executive vice-president of news, called Kurtz "the most accomplished media reporter in the country" and said his addition would bring greater depth to the network.

Kurtz, a longtime media reporter at The Washington Post, began as a panelist for the show when it started in 1992 with Bernard Kalb as host. Kurtz took over as host in 1998. CNN, in a statement, thanked Kurtz and wished him well. "Reliable Sources" will continue with a variety of hosts in the next few months, which is how TV networks often test possibilities before choosing a successor.

It had been a rough stretch for Kurtz. He had written a column for The Daily Beast saying Collins had hidden a previous engagement to a woman, when in fact Collins had talked about it in a Sports Illustrated story and television interview. Kurtz acknowledged being too slow to correct the mistake and making an inappropriate comment about playing "both sides of the court" in a video story.

The Daily Beast and Kurtz announced they were parting ways on the same day the mistake came to light.

Kurtz said he is comfortable he will have editorial independence at Fox and that the network would not have hired him without being comfortable with his style of media criticism.

"I have had occasion to criticize every employee I have worked for, including The Washington Post and CNN, and I don't see any reason for that to change if it is warranted," he said.

His last "Reliable Sources" will be June 30 and Kurtz begins at Fox the next day.

Fox said that Jon Scott, current host of "Fox News Watch," will be an anchor for the network's specials unit.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Preview: Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Jersey Lily

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • JOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Local-(  Standup photo)-    A butterfly looks for nector on a lily Tuesday afternoon in Wolseley-JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS- June 22, 2010

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think e-cigarettes should be banned by the school division?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google