The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Quacked Up: Akron's minor league baseball team changes nickname to RubberDucks
CLEVELAND - Splish, splash, Akron's minor league team is ready for a bath.
No longer known as the Aeros, they're now the RubberDucks.
The Double-A affiliate for the Cleveland Indians announced the new nickname on Tuesday. Team owner Ken Babby said the RubberDucks nickname and logo are designed to "honour the history of Akron and the rubber industry while creating a new identity that was fun, exciting, and family-friendly."
The team's primary logo consists of a snarling, tire-treaded duck's head accentuated by flames. The team's new official colour combination of "blue flame, racing yellow, fire orange and tire black pays" tribute to Akron's heritage as the "Rubber City."
Akron's team had been known as the Aeros for the past 17 seasons, adopting the nickname when the club moved into Canal Park in 1997.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 7 articles for this year)4:01 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Kids get leg up in life with lessons on mindfulness: University of B.C. study
- Growing number of single Saudi women challenge conservative society on love, marriage and work
- Siblings with autism often have different genetic mutations: study
- Thalidomide survivors still hoping for funding after Ottawa misses deadline
- No princes required: Daughters help inspire independent Disney princesses not seeking romance
- Wyoming becomes latest US state to legalize gay marriage after Supreme Court decision
Ads by Google