Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Abortion MD faces fewer murder charges
PHILADELPHIA -- A judge tossed three of eight murder charges Tuesday in the high-profile trial of a Philadelphia abortion provider accused of killing babies allegedly born alive at his clinic, dubbed by prosecutors "a house of horrors."
Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 72, still faces the death penalty if convicted on four remaining counts of first-degree murder involving babies allegedly killed with scissors after being born alive.
Judge Jeffrey Minehart did not explain why he dismissed the three murder counts, but apparently felt he had not heard sufficient evidence from prosecutors that those three babies were viable, born alive and then killed. Much of the evidence during the five-week prosecution case has come from the recollection of former staff members, though their testimony was bolstered by graphic photographs of some of the aborted babies.
Prosecutors argued the babies were viable and that Gosnell and his staff cut the back of their necks to kill them.
"Why would you cut a baby in the back of the neck unless you were killing it?" assistant district attorney Ed Cameron asked.
The defence questioned testimony from staffers who said they had seen babies move, cry or breathe. Defence attorney Jack McMahon argued that each testified to seeing only a single movement or breath.
The judge also upheld murder charges in a patient's overdose death. Gosnell is charged with third-degree murder in the 2009 death of 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar, a refugee to the U.S. from Bhutan who died after an abortion at his Women's Medical Society.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 24, 2013 A10
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 20 articles for today)7:28 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Rough times in Russia
- Video purports to show Islamic State militants killing captured Ethiopian Christians in Libya
- Canada's turn as Arctic Council head to end at Iqaluit meeting; Kerry takes over
- Fearful immigrants say South Africans warned they would target anyone with foreign passport
- Caged puppies on car roof trigger flurry of 911 calls in Ohio, police take custody
- Egypt court sentences 11 fans to death in 2012 soccer riot, in highly charged case
- Republicans disagree on foreign policy
- Sheriff: Cannot arrest woman who bragged on Facebook of killing cat unless photo is genuine
- California serial killer denied parole; man went on 9-day crime rampage, killing 4
- Review reveals flaws in forensic testimony
- Dispatcher seemed confused by 911 call: 'I'm inside a plane, and I feel like it's moving'
- Court releases video of 'Suge' Knight running over 2 men, other evidence in case
- As her 2016 campaign debuts, Republican presidential candidates already united against Clinton
- Couple killed with baby when concrete slab fell from overpass onto pickup were youth ministers
- 'Free-range' parenting under the gun
- Police again pick up children, 6 and 10, of 'free-range' parents, take kids to child services
- Milwaukee motorist shot, killed after van strikes child; teen brother of child also killed
- Physicians want Dr. Mehmet Oz gone from Columbia medical faculty, say he lacks integrity
- Driver who hit toddler in US street starts chain of events that leaves 4 people dead
- It wasn't the strippers, it was the noise that led to downfall of a Florida stripper school
- Alps plane crash cause remains mystery; report says audio shows 1 pilot locked out of cockpit
- German co-pilot locks cockpit, deliberately slams plane into Alps; investigators study why
- Co-pilot appeared healthy, but may have hidden illness, torn-up sick notes for day of crash
- Report says 1 pilot locked out of cockpit before crash that killed 150 people
- Al-Shabab gunmen kill 147 at university in Kenya; 4 attackers slain by troops to end siege
- Germanwings co-pilot researched suicide, cockpit doors before crash; France finds 2nd recorder
- German airline could face 'unlimited' damages for crash blamed on co-pilot
- Utility says it removed stolen electric meter from rental home where 8 died of gas poisoning
- Gunman in Kenyan massacre was government official's son, underscoring threat from within
- White SC police officer charged with murder in black man's death after dramatic video emerges
Ads by Google