Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
American sues for $60M over ordeal in Cuba
WASHINGTON -- An American imprisoned in Cuba for nearly three years is suing his former employer and the United States government for $60 million, saying they didn't adequately train him or disclose risks he was undertaking by doing development work on the communist island.
Alan Gross and his wife Judy sued Friday in Federal Court in Washington. The lawsuit alleges the economic development company Gross was working for in Cuba and the U.S. government, with which the company had a contract, failed to provide Gross "with the education and training that was necessary to minimize the risk of harm to him."
Gross, 63, was arrested in December 2009 while on his fifth trip to Cuba. The trip was part of a project to increase the availability of Internet access in the country. Gross was working on the effort as a subcontractor for Development Alternatives Inc., an economic development company.
The company, known as DAI, was a contractor for the U.S. Agency for International Development, the U.S. government agency that provides economic and humanitarian assistance worldwide. Cuba says its programs are a veiled attempt by Washington to undermine the government.
The lawsuit alleges Gross expressed concern about his project several times but was pressured by DAI to "finish the project or to find someone else who would." When the U.S. government learned of Gross's concerns, officials also did nothing, the lawsuit says.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 17, 2012 A22
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 19 articles for today)3:45 PM 0
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Whoever snatched a seal or sea lion pup from a Los Angeles beach early Sunday should ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Rough times in Russia
- Video purports to show Islamic State militants killing captured Ethiopian Christians in Libya
- Canada's turn as Arctic Council head to end at Iqaluit meeting; Kerry takes over
- Caged puppies on car roof trigger flurry of 911 calls in Ohio, police take custody
- Fearful immigrants say South Africans warned they would target anyone with foreign passport
- Egypt court sentences 11 fans to death in 2012 soccer riot, in highly charged case
- California serial killer denied parole; man went on 9-day crime rampage, killing 4
- Sheriff: Cannot arrest woman who bragged on Facebook of killing cat unless photo is genuine
- Republicans disagree on foreign policy
- Man pleads guilty to charges related to 6-year-old daughter's severely rotten teeth
- Dispatcher seemed confused by 911 call: 'I'm inside a plane, and I feel like it's moving'
- Court releases video of 'Suge' Knight running over 2 men, other evidence in case
- As her 2016 campaign debuts, Republican presidential candidates already united against Clinton
- Couple killed with baby when concrete slab fell from overpass onto pickup were youth ministers
- 'Free-range' parenting under the gun
- Police again pick up children, 6 and 10, of 'free-range' parents, take kids to child services
- Milwaukee motorist shot, killed after van strikes child; teen brother of child also killed
- Physicians want Dr. Mehmet Oz gone from Columbia medical faculty, say he lacks integrity
- Driver who hit toddler in US street starts chain of events that leaves 4 people dead
- It wasn't the strippers, it was the noise that led to downfall of a Florida stripper school
- Alps plane crash cause remains mystery; report says audio shows 1 pilot locked out of cockpit
- German co-pilot locks cockpit, deliberately slams plane into Alps; investigators study why
- Co-pilot appeared healthy, but may have hidden illness, torn-up sick notes for day of crash
- Report says 1 pilot locked out of cockpit before crash that killed 150 people
- Al-Shabab gunmen kill 147 at university in Kenya; 4 attackers slain by troops to end siege
- Germanwings co-pilot researched suicide, cockpit doors before crash; France finds 2nd recorder
- German airline could face 'unlimited' damages for crash blamed on co-pilot
- Utility says it removed stolen electric meter from rental home where 8 died of gas poisoning
- Gunman in Kenyan massacre was government official's son, underscoring threat from within
- White SC police officer charged with murder in black man's death after dramatic video emerges
Ads by Google