The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Australian holds day of mourning for victims of Malaysian airliner shot down over Ukraine

  • Print
Mourners console each other during a national memorial service for the victims of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne, Autralia Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014. All 298 people, including 38 Australian citizens and residents, on board flight MH17 were killed when the plane was shot down over eastern Ukraine last month. (AP Photo/Mark Dadswell, Pool)

Enlarge Image

Mourners console each other during a national memorial service for the victims of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne, Autralia Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014. All 298 people, including 38 Australian citizens and residents, on board flight MH17 were killed when the plane was shot down over eastern Ukraine last month. (AP Photo/Mark Dadswell, Pool)

CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister said Thursday that those responsible for shooting down the Malaysian airliner over Ukraine will face justice, as his nation marked a day of mourning for the 38 Australian citizens and residents who died in the crash.

The commemorations were centred on St. Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne, capital of Victoria state where 16 of the victims lived.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told the multi-faith service that hundreds of Australian police and military personnel had been working around the clock to retrieve human remains and belongings from the war zone where Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crashed on July 17 with 298 people aboard.

"There will be a time to judge the guilty, but today we honour the dead and we grieve with the living," Abbott said.

"We do rededicate ourselves today to supporting the bereaved, to obtaining justice for the dead and for their families, and to working for a better world," he added.

Flags flew at half-mast and church bells chimed around Australia in honour of the dead.

The West has accused Russia of most likely providing Ukrainian insurgents with surface-to-air missiles that may have been used to shoot down the Boeing 777 over rebel-held territory.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte of The Netherlands, whose nationals made up more than half of the victims, said Wednesday that the search involving Dutch and Australian police for victims' remains is being halted because fighting in the area of the crash site makes it too dangerous to continue.

Australia sponsored a United Nations Security Council Resolution that demanded that separatists allow the dead to be retrieved and international investigators free access to the crash site.

Australia's first priority is retrieving its dead, followed by establishing who shot the Boeing 777 down and bringing the culprits before the courts.

"We cannot bring them back, but we will bring them home, as far as we humanly can," Abbott said.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

How Winnipeg's slow growth saved the Exchange District

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant / Winnipeg Free Press.  Local/Standup- Morning Fog. Horse prances in field by McPhillips Road, north of Winnipeg. 060605.
  • Two Canadian geese perch themselves for a perfect view looking at the surroundings from the top of a railway bridge near Lombard Ave and Waterfront Drive in downtown Winnipeg- Standup photo- May 01, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think Judy Wasylycia-Leis will greatly benefit from the endorsement by Winnipeg's firefighters?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google