Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Did teens rape, then brag on Facebook?

Sex site finally taken down after two years

  • Print

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand police are facing mounting criticism for the way they've handled an investigation into a group of teenage boys who bragged on Facebook about having sex with girls who were drunk and underage.

Calling themselves the Roast Busters, the Auckland teens publicly named some of the girls and continued operating for two years before their Facebook page was taken down last week following a story on local television station TV3.

The case has angered many in the South Pacific nation and raised questions about how rape allegations are handled not only by the police but also by other authority figures including school officials and radio hosts. Two teenage girls have organized marches in New Zealand's three largest cities next Saturday in a protest against what some describe as the country's "rape culture."

In one disturbing video posted online, two Roast Busters teens brag that they take what they do seriously.

"How about you try to go with the amount of girls we do... it's a job," says one of the teens, adding "they know what we're like, they know what they're in for."

Police at first said they'd not been able to prosecute the teens because none of the girls involved had made formal complaints. But they later backtracked, saying a 13-year-old had given evidence in a 2011 video interview, and that they'd spoken to three other girls over the past two years. Police said the involvement of an officer's son with the Roast Busters group had no bearing on how they handled the case.

The country's Police Minister Anne Tolley has ordered an independent investigation into the police handling of the case, while others are calling for the head of the police force, Commissioner Peter Marshall, to resign.

"Parents of young girls need to have confidence that complaints to police about sexual assault are investigated thoroughly and appropriately," Tolley said in a statement.

Marshall has taken the unusual step of posting a video "message of reassurance" on the police website in which he says attitudes toward sexual assault have evolved.

"In the 1970s, for instance, it was no offence for a man to rape his wife," he says in the video. "Can you imagine that being tolerated in today's world? Certainly not. We have come ahead in leaps and bounds, and I can tell you that the New Zealand police are absolutely committed to doing the right thing by complainants who wish to tell us about sexual offending."

Meanwhile, some companies have pulled their advertising from RadioLive after hosts Willie Jackson and John Tamihere interviewed an alleged victim of the Roast Busters, questioning her about her drinking habits and sexual history. Jackson later offered an apology.

And former students of Avondale College in Auckland, where some of the Roast Busters went to school, have started a Facebook page criticizing the high school as fostering "a regressive environment that does not challenge rape culture." The school has rejected those allegations.

-- The Associated Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 10, 2013 A7

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Gary Lawless & Ed Tait try not to bleeping cry over the woesome Jets

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Young goslings jostle for position to take a drink from a puddle in Brookside Cemetery Thursday morning- Day 23– June 14, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project. Baby peregrine falcons. 21 days old. Three baby falcons. Born on ledge on roof of Radisson hotel on Portage Avenue. Project Coordinator Tracy Maconachie said that these are third generation falcons to call the hotel home. Maconachie banded the legs of the birds for future identification as seen on this adult bird swooping just metres above. June 16, 2004.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What's your favourite Halloween treat to hand out?

View Results

Ads by Google