Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 07/4/2014 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras -- An official withdrew his report eight miners had been rescued from a small, wildcat gold mine in southern Honduras, saying late Thursday all 11 men were still trapped following a cave-in the previous day.
Rescue workers using picks and shovels cleared away rubble by hand trying to reach the miners.
Emergencies Commission director Moises Alvarado had said earlier Thursday eight of the miners had been rescued and taken to a hospital. He later said he was given incorrect information by a firefighter at the site.
"The miners are still underground and none of them has been rescued," Alvarado said.
More than 300 Red Cross volunteers, firefighters and people who live near the mine in the town of El Corpus were digging by hand in an effort to reach the miners.
Fire department spokesman Oscar Triminio said heavy machinery was not being used because the mine "is unstable and could further collapse."
The miners were trapped about 80 metres into the mine, Triminio said.
The mine partially collapsed shortly after 22 miners entered to search for gold Wednesday, but half were able to get out on their own, he said.
Mayor Luis Rueda said there are more than 50 mines in the area, some of them as much as 200 metres underground.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 4, 2014 A20
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Airline admits it knew of pilot's depression
Gary Dahl, creator of the Pet Rock, dies at 78
Coroner: Death of Andrew Getty appears natural or accident
The world's oldest person, a Japanese woman, dies at 117
Tuskegee Airman Leslie A. Williams dies in California at 95
3-D print technology provides 'robohand' to 7-year-old girl