Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Giffords meets victims' families
NEWTOWN, Conn. -- Former Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, nearly two years after being critically wounded in a mass shooting, on Friday met with families of victims in last month's shooting that left 26 people dead inside an elementary school.
Giffords was accompanied by her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, at the private meeting in Newtown that was also attended by U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal.
"As always, I was deeply impressed by the strength and courage and resolve of the families and the extraordinary caring and generosity of Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly in visiting with them," Blumenthal said.
Giffords, a Democrat, met earlier in the day with officials including Connecticut's lieutenant-governor and Newtown's first selectman.
Giffords was left partially blind, with a paralyzed right arm and brain injury, when a gunman opened fire at a constituent meet-and-greet outside a Tucson grocery store on Jan. 8, 2011. Arizona's chief federal judge and five others were killed and 13 people, including Giffords, were injured.
The gunman, Jared Lee Loughner, pleaded guilty to 19 federal charges and was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences, plus 140 years.
Kelly has become a vocal advocate for gun control in recent months, most notably at Loughner's sentencing in November.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 5, 2013 A22
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 20 articles for today)7:28 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Rough times in Russia
- Video purports to show Islamic State militants killing captured Ethiopian Christians in Libya
- Canada's turn as Arctic Council head to end at Iqaluit meeting; Kerry takes over
- Fearful immigrants say South Africans warned they would target anyone with foreign passport
- Egypt court sentences 11 fans to death in 2012 soccer riot, in highly charged case
- Caged puppies on car roof trigger flurry of 911 calls in Ohio, police take custody
- Republicans disagree on foreign policy
- Sheriff: Cannot arrest woman who bragged on Facebook of killing cat unless photo is genuine
- Review reveals flaws in forensic testimony
- California serial killer denied parole; man went on 9-day crime rampage, killing 4
- Dispatcher seemed confused by 911 call: 'I'm inside a plane, and I feel like it's moving'
- Court releases video of 'Suge' Knight running over 2 men, other evidence in case
- Couple killed with baby when concrete slab fell from overpass onto pickup were youth ministers
- As her 2016 campaign debuts, Republican presidential candidates already united against Clinton
- 'Free-range' parenting under the gun
- Police again pick up children, 6 and 10, of 'free-range' parents, take kids to child services
- Milwaukee motorist shot, killed after van strikes child; teen brother of child also killed
- Physicians want Dr. Mehmet Oz gone from Columbia medical faculty, say he lacks integrity
- Driver who hit toddler in US street starts chain of events that leaves 4 people dead
- It wasn't the strippers, it was the noise that led to downfall of a Florida stripper school
- Alps plane crash cause remains mystery; report says audio shows 1 pilot locked out of cockpit
- German co-pilot locks cockpit, deliberately slams plane into Alps; investigators study why
- Co-pilot appeared healthy, but may have hidden illness, torn-up sick notes for day of crash
- Report says 1 pilot locked out of cockpit before crash that killed 150 people
- Al-Shabab gunmen kill 147 at university in Kenya; 4 attackers slain by troops to end siege
- Germanwings co-pilot researched suicide, cockpit doors before crash; France finds 2nd recorder
- German airline could face 'unlimited' damages for crash blamed on co-pilot
- Utility says it removed stolen electric meter from rental home where 8 died of gas poisoning
- Gunman in Kenyan massacre was government official's son, underscoring threat from within
- White SC police officer charged with murder in black man's death after dramatic video emerges
Ads by Google