The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Judge gives US boy maximum term in school shooting that hurt 2 students

  • Print

ROSWELL, N.M. - A judge on Wednesday ordered the maximum sentence for a then-year-old boy who opened fire in a New Mexico school gym earlier this year, injuring two students.

After a daylong hearing, state District Judge Freddie Romero ordered the boy, now 13, held in state custody until he is 21.

Prosecutors had sought the maximum punishment for the boy, who pleaded no contest to the January shooting in Roswell. His lawyers asked that he be placed in treatment for two years and then released if doctors determine he is no longer a threat.

A defence memo said the boy was chronically bullied, is socially and emotionally immature, and regrets what he did.

Roswell police said the boy took a modified shotgun to Berrendo Middle School in southeastern New Mexico on Jan. 14 and opened fire on students as they waited for classes to begin.

Nathaniel Tavarez, 12, and Kendal Sanders, 13, were injured in the shooting, which sent the school into a panic. Tavarez spent weeks in hospitals and rehabilitation centres for treatment of wounds to his chest, heart, face and head. His vision in both eyes has been severely diminished.

Sanders was later released from a hospital after surgeries to repair damage to her right arm and shoulder.

The boy was charged with three counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and one count of carrying a firearm on school premises. His lawyers have said his no-contest plea acknowledged the "limitations in decision-making of an immature brain."

Under New Mexico law, the state can charge minors as adults only if they are at least 14.

The Associated Press typically doesn't identify juveniles charged with crimes.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Drew Willy on his team's win over Alouettes

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • JOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Local-(  Standup photo)-    A butterfly looks for nector on a lily Tuesday afternoon in Wolseley-JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS- June 22, 2010
  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Does Canada need a national inquiry into the disproportionately high number of missing and murdered aboriginal women?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google