The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Libya's rogue general survives suicide car bombing that kills 4, officials say

  • Print

TRIPOLI, Libya - A Libyan general who has been leading an offensive against Islamists dominating the country's political scene survived a suicide attack on his residence in the eastern city of Benghazi on Wednesday, military officials said.

The bomber drove up to the residence of Gen. Khalifa Hifter in Benghazi and detonated his explosives-laden vehicle when guards stopped him at the compound's gate, the officials said. The site is less than a mile away from Benghazi's military command in the suburb of al-Abyar.

Hifter was unhurt in the explosion, said the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

According to the officials, four people died in the attack, along with the bomber, and at least three were wounded. The Libyan air force's chief of staff, Saqr al-Garoushi, was lightly wounded in the explosion and taken to the Benghazi hospital, the officials said.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the bombing, which bore the hallmarks of Islamic militants whom Hifter has vowed to crush since launching his offensive last month.

Later Wednesday, air force aircraft flown by pilots loyal to Hifter bombed positions of Ansar al-Shariah, an Islamic extremist group, in western Benghazi, according to al-Garoushi. He had no word on casualties.

A former army chief under the late dictator Moammar Gadhafi, Hifter and army units loyal to him have been battling Islamist militias, mainly in eastern Libya.

He has rallied support from the country's weakened military, anti-Islamist politicians, tribes and diplomats, vowing to crush the Islamist militias he blames for Libya's instability.

Since last weekend, helicopters flown by pilots loyal to Hifter have bombed Islamist militia camps in Benghazi, the birthplace of the uprising that led to the toppling and killing of Gadhafi in Libya's 2011 civil war.

The fighting has paralyzed the city, with schools postponing end-of-term exams and hospitals calling for blood donations.

In a statement Wednesday, the United Nations mission in Libya expressed "deep concern" over events in Benghazi and called the rise in terrorist acts in the eastern part of the country in recent years "an evident challenge to state authority." The mission called for an end to the bloodshed.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Winnipeg Cheapskate: Cheap summer weekends

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS 060710 The full moon rises above the prairie south of Winnipeg Monday evening.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Will higher pork prices change your grocery-shopping habits?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google