The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Correction: Yemen story

  • Print

SANAA, Yemen - In a story Jan. 18 about Iranian diplomat killed in Yemen, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Yemen' state news agency is named SANA. The state news agency is called SABA.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Officials: Iranian diplomat killed in Yemen

Officials say Iranian diplomat killed in a drive-by shooting in Yemen's capital, Sanaa

By AHMED AL-HAJ

Associated Press

Gunmen killed an Iranian diplomat in a drive-by shooting in Yemen's capital Saturday, security and medical officials said, the latest attack on Iran's diplomatic corps in the Middle East in recent months.

Iranian state television announced that Ali Asghar Asadi, Iran's economic attach� in Sanaa, was "martyred." The broadcast said Asadi was attacked while driving and suffered four gunshot wounds to the chest and stomach. It did not elaborate.

Three Yemeni security officials said Asadi was leaving the Iranian ambassador's house in the city's southern Hadda neighbourhood when assailants opened fire. They said he died in a hospital. A medical official confirmed the diplomat's death.

Another Yemeni security official said the diplomat suffered three gunshot wounds to the chest and shoulder. The two accounts of the shooting could not be immediately reconciled, though conflicting information is common immediately after such attacks.

The official said the initial investigation suggested the gunmen first attempted to kidnap the diplomat by stopping his car. When the diplomat resisted, the assailants shot him and fled the area, which is a busy commercial district, the official said.

All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to journalists.

Relations between Iran and Yemen have soured over what Sanaa calls Iranian meddling in its domestic affairs. But Yemen's Foreign Minister Abu Bakr al-Qirbi quickly condemned Saturday's attack, calling it a "terrorist criminal act" that targeted bilateral relations. Al-Qirbi said the two countries want to avoid any attempts to harm relations.

"This operation has targeted the Yemeni-Iranian relations before it targeted the diplomat," he told the state news agency SABA. He said authorities will purse the culprits and bring them to justice.

Another Iranian diplomat in Yemen was abducted by gunmen in July and remains in captivity. Officials suspect al-Qaida militants to be behind that kidnapping. Negotiations to secure his release have so far failed.

Al-Qaida's Yemen branch is the world's most active, using political turmoil in the impoverished Gulf country to strengthen its presence there. The government has been battling the militant groups, with assistance from the U.S., which has killed a number of suspected members in drone strikes.

Targeted killings of security officials have been on the rise in Yemen. A security official said an intelligence officer was shot dead by unknown assailants Thursday in a drive-by shooting in the southern province of Lahj.

Iran's diplomats also have been targeted elsewhere in the region. In November, suicide bombers targeted the Iranian Embassy in Beirut, killing at least 23 people. Shiite-powerhouse Iran is the chief patron of Lebanon's Hezbollah and an ally of Syria's embattled President Bashar Assad.

In Yemen, the government and neighbouring Saudi Arabia accuse Tehran of supporting Shiite rebels in the north, seeking to destabilize the country. Iran has dismissed the accusations.

___

Associated Press writer Ali Akbar Dareini in Tehran, Iran, contributed to this report.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Kevin Cheveldayoff announces Maurice contract extension

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A young gosling prepares to eat dandelions on King Edward St Thursday morning-See Bryksa 30 Day goose challenge- Day 17- bonus - May 24, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A Great Horned Owl that was caught up in some soccer nets in Shamrock Park in Southdale on November 16th was rehabilitated and returned to the the city park behind Shamrock School and released this afternoon. Sequence of the release. December 4, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google