9/11 search continues
NEW YORK -- Construction debris from the World Trade Center site will be sifted for any human remains from the 9/11 terrorist attacks starting Monday.
Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway said in a memo Friday DNA testing will continue until every possible identification can be made. The sifting is expected to continue for about 10 weeks on Staten Island.
City officials say about 60 truckloads of construction debris have been collected around the site over the past 21/2 years. A skyscraper will replace the twin towers.
Some 2,750 people died at the World Trade Center in the 2001 attacks. So far, 1,634 people have been identified.
The chief medical examiner's office is leading the operation. It has identified 34 victims and 2,345 possible human remains of previously identified victims since 2006.
Free shotguns in Arizona
TUCSON, Ariz. -- A campaign promising free shotguns for people to protect themselves in troubled neighbourhoods of an Arizona city has divided some residents in the community still reeling from a 2011 shooting rampage that killed six people and wounded a congresswoman.
Shaun McClusky says guns are the solution to Tucson's crime problem, and he's working with The Armed Citizen Project to give shotguns to single women and homeowners.
Donors have committed about $12,000 to the Arizona effort. It costs about $400 for each participant to receive a shotgun and weapons training.
The Armed Citizen Project based in Texas seeks to arm neighbourhoods in 15 cities by the end of the year.
The group says that at least 13 single women in Houston have already received shotguns.
-- from the news services