Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
9/11 search continues
NEW YORK -- Construction debris from the World Trade Center site will be sifted for any human remains from the 9/11 terrorist attacks starting Monday.
Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway said in a memo Friday DNA testing will continue until every possible identification can be made. The sifting is expected to continue for about 10 weeks on Staten Island.
City officials say about 60 truckloads of construction debris have been collected around the site over the past 21/2 years. A skyscraper will replace the twin towers.
Some 2,750 people died at the World Trade Center in the 2001 attacks. So far, 1,634 people have been identified.
The chief medical examiner's office is leading the operation. It has identified 34 victims and 2,345 possible human remains of previously identified victims since 2006.
Free shotguns in Arizona
TUCSON, Ariz. -- A campaign promising free shotguns for people to protect themselves in troubled neighbourhoods of an Arizona city has divided some residents in the community still reeling from a 2011 shooting rampage that killed six people and wounded a congresswoman.
Shaun McClusky says guns are the solution to Tucson's crime problem, and he's working with The Armed Citizen Project to give shotguns to single women and homeowners.
Donors have committed about $12,000 to the Arizona effort. It costs about $400 for each participant to receive a shotgun and weapons training.
The Armed Citizen Project based in Texas seeks to arm neighbourhoods in 15 cities by the end of the year.
The group says that at least 13 single women in Houston have already received shotguns.
-- from the news services
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 30, 2013 A26
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 19 articles for today)3:45 PM 0
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Whoever snatched a seal or sea lion pup from a Los Angeles beach early Sunday should ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Rough times in Russia
- Video purports to show Islamic State militants killing captured Ethiopian Christians in Libya
- Canada's turn as Arctic Council head to end at Iqaluit meeting; Kerry takes over
- Caged puppies on car roof trigger flurry of 911 calls in Ohio, police take custody
- Fearful immigrants say South Africans warned they would target anyone with foreign passport
- Egypt court sentences 11 fans to death in 2012 soccer riot, in highly charged case
- California serial killer denied parole; man went on 9-day crime rampage, killing 4
- Sheriff: Cannot arrest woman who bragged on Facebook of killing cat unless photo is genuine
- Republicans disagree on foreign policy
- Man pleads guilty to charges related to 6-year-old daughter's severely rotten teeth
- Dispatcher seemed confused by 911 call: 'I'm inside a plane, and I feel like it's moving'
- Court releases video of 'Suge' Knight running over 2 men, other evidence in case
- As her 2016 campaign debuts, Republican presidential candidates already united against Clinton
- Couple killed with baby when concrete slab fell from overpass onto pickup were youth ministers
- 'Free-range' parenting under the gun
- Police again pick up children, 6 and 10, of 'free-range' parents, take kids to child services
- Milwaukee motorist shot, killed after van strikes child; teen brother of child also killed
- Physicians want Dr. Mehmet Oz gone from Columbia medical faculty, say he lacks integrity
- Driver who hit toddler in US street starts chain of events that leaves 4 people dead
- It wasn't the strippers, it was the noise that led to downfall of a Florida stripper school
- Alps plane crash cause remains mystery; report says audio shows 1 pilot locked out of cockpit
- German co-pilot locks cockpit, deliberately slams plane into Alps; investigators study why
- Co-pilot appeared healthy, but may have hidden illness, torn-up sick notes for day of crash
- Report says 1 pilot locked out of cockpit before crash that killed 150 people
- Al-Shabab gunmen kill 147 at university in Kenya; 4 attackers slain by troops to end siege
- Germanwings co-pilot researched suicide, cockpit doors before crash; France finds 2nd recorder
- German airline could face 'unlimited' damages for crash blamed on co-pilot
- Utility says it removed stolen electric meter from rental home where 8 died of gas poisoning
- Gunman in Kenyan massacre was government official's son, underscoring threat from within
- White SC police officer charged with murder in black man's death after dramatic video emerges
Ads by Google