Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
TiE one on -- bow ties are back
BOW tie sales are surging. The accessories are on pace to almost double their share of the U.S. neckwear market, and retailers including PVH and Macy's are grabbing the opportunity with new styles.
The resurgence began in their traditional southern enclave, where preppy gentlemen donned them at fraternity parties and the Kentucky Derby, before it spread across the country, said Durand Guion, Macy's men's fashion director.
"It was all about newness," Guion said.
Bow ties were helped by the recent "geek chic" trend that borrowed from the Ivy League styles of the 1960s, such as shrunken oxford button-down shirts and horn-rimmed glasses, said Mitchell Lechner, president of PVH's dress furnishings group.
-- Bloomberg News
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 27, 2013 $sourceSection0
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 20 articles for today)7:28 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Rough times in Russia
- Video purports to show Islamic State militants killing captured Ethiopian Christians in Libya
- Canada's turn as Arctic Council head to end at Iqaluit meeting; Kerry takes over
- Fearful immigrants say South Africans warned they would target anyone with foreign passport
- Caged puppies on car roof trigger flurry of 911 calls in Ohio, police take custody
- Egypt court sentences 11 fans to death in 2012 soccer riot, in highly charged case
- Republicans disagree on foreign policy
- Sheriff: Cannot arrest woman who bragged on Facebook of killing cat unless photo is genuine
- California serial killer denied parole; man went on 9-day crime rampage, killing 4
- Review reveals flaws in forensic testimony
- Dispatcher seemed confused by 911 call: 'I'm inside a plane, and I feel like it's moving'
- Court releases video of 'Suge' Knight running over 2 men, other evidence in case
- As her 2016 campaign debuts, Republican presidential candidates already united against Clinton
- Couple killed with baby when concrete slab fell from overpass onto pickup were youth ministers
- 'Free-range' parenting under the gun
- Police again pick up children, 6 and 10, of 'free-range' parents, take kids to child services
- Milwaukee motorist shot, killed after van strikes child; teen brother of child also killed
- Physicians want Dr. Mehmet Oz gone from Columbia medical faculty, say he lacks integrity
- Driver who hit toddler in US street starts chain of events that leaves 4 people dead
- It wasn't the strippers, it was the noise that led to downfall of a Florida stripper school
- Alps plane crash cause remains mystery; report says audio shows 1 pilot locked out of cockpit
- German co-pilot locks cockpit, deliberately slams plane into Alps; investigators study why
- Co-pilot appeared healthy, but may have hidden illness, torn-up sick notes for day of crash
- Report says 1 pilot locked out of cockpit before crash that killed 150 people
- Al-Shabab gunmen kill 147 at university in Kenya; 4 attackers slain by troops to end siege
- Germanwings co-pilot researched suicide, cockpit doors before crash; France finds 2nd recorder
- German airline could face 'unlimited' damages for crash blamed on co-pilot
- Utility says it removed stolen electric meter from rental home where 8 died of gas poisoning
- Gunman in Kenyan massacre was government official's son, underscoring threat from within
- White SC police officer charged with murder in black man's death after dramatic video emerges
Ads by Google