Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Tortoise wasn't stolen, after all
DUBUQUE, Iowa -- An African leopard tortoise thought to be stolen from an Iowa museum was actually trapped behind panelling in her enclosure, and a misguided employee who found her lied to keep up the story about her theft, the museum announced Friday.
In a bizarre move, the employee who found the 8.1-kilogram reptile named Cashew put her into a building elevator in an attempt to prevent the museum further embarrassment, said Jerry Enzler, president and CEO of the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium in Dubuque.
The tortoise was found alone in a museum elevator on Thursday, two days after the museum had discovered she was missing and announced she had been stolen. Museum officials told media outlets Thursday they believed a regretful thief had smuggled her back inside.
But several hours later, a museum employee came forward and told the truth: Cashew was never stolen.
"The action taken by the employee Thursday afternoon was wrong and is not reflective of the integrity of the staff who dedicate themselves to the highest of Museum & Aquarium standards," Enzler said in a statement Friday.
Enzler said the employee will be reprimanded.
Cashew is one of six large tortoises on display in the enclosure. A 1.2-metre wall separates visitors from the creatures.
The nine-year-old tortoise will be back on display today.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 6, 2013 A21
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 20 articles for today)7:28 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Rough times in Russia
- Video purports to show Islamic State militants killing captured Ethiopian Christians in Libya
- Canada's turn as Arctic Council head to end at Iqaluit meeting; Kerry takes over
- Fearful immigrants say South Africans warned they would target anyone with foreign passport
- Egypt court sentences 11 fans to death in 2012 soccer riot, in highly charged case
- Caged puppies on car roof trigger flurry of 911 calls in Ohio, police take custody
- Republicans disagree on foreign policy
- Sheriff: Cannot arrest woman who bragged on Facebook of killing cat unless photo is genuine
- Review reveals flaws in forensic testimony
- California serial killer denied parole; man went on 9-day crime rampage, killing 4
- Dispatcher seemed confused by 911 call: 'I'm inside a plane, and I feel like it's moving'
- Court releases video of 'Suge' Knight running over 2 men, other evidence in case
- Couple killed with baby when concrete slab fell from overpass onto pickup were youth ministers
- As her 2016 campaign debuts, Republican presidential candidates already united against Clinton
- 'Free-range' parenting under the gun
- Police again pick up children, 6 and 10, of 'free-range' parents, take kids to child services
- Milwaukee motorist shot, killed after van strikes child; teen brother of child also killed
- Physicians want Dr. Mehmet Oz gone from Columbia medical faculty, say he lacks integrity
- Driver who hit toddler in US street starts chain of events that leaves 4 people dead
- It wasn't the strippers, it was the noise that led to downfall of a Florida stripper school
- Alps plane crash cause remains mystery; report says audio shows 1 pilot locked out of cockpit
- German co-pilot locks cockpit, deliberately slams plane into Alps; investigators study why
- Co-pilot appeared healthy, but may have hidden illness, torn-up sick notes for day of crash
- Report says 1 pilot locked out of cockpit before crash that killed 150 people
- Al-Shabab gunmen kill 147 at university in Kenya; 4 attackers slain by troops to end siege
- Germanwings co-pilot researched suicide, cockpit doors before crash; France finds 2nd recorder
- German airline could face 'unlimited' damages for crash blamed on co-pilot
- Utility says it removed stolen electric meter from rental home where 8 died of gas poisoning
- Gunman in Kenyan massacre was government official's son, underscoring threat from within
- White SC police officer charged with murder in black man's death after dramatic video emerges
Ads by Google