The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 08/28/2014 4:03 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 08/28/2014 6:23 PM
CANBERRA, Australia - Shortly after the missing Malaysian airliner disappeared from radar, airline officials on the ground tried repeatedly to call the crew of the Boeing 777 using a satellite phone that might have left clues to the jet's flight path.
Now an analysis of those failed attempts to reach Flight 370 could alter the search for the plane.
Australian Transport Safety Bureau Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan said Thursday that the sprawling search area in the southern Indian Ocean may be extended farther south based on the new analysis, which suggests that the aircraft turned that direction earlier than previously believed.
Investigators have long been aware of the calls but only recently developed methods to analyze the phone data for hints about the plane's final hours. It was through a similar analysis of satellite data from the plane's jet engine transmitters that investigators were able to define the current search area.
The jetliner disappeared March 8 after veering off its northerly course from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing and has become one of aviation's biggest mysteries. It is thought to have crashed 1,800 kilometres (1,100 miles) off Australia's west coast, but no trace of the aircraft or the 239 people aboard has been found.
Dolan, the chief crash investigator, said he would meet with international experts next week to decide whether the 60,000-square kilometre (23,000-square mile) targeted search area should be extended or shifted south.
Malaysia Airlines ground staff tried twice to call the crew. The new analysis applies to satellite data from the first call.
By the time the calls were attempted, the plane had become invisible to civilian radar and gone silent. It flew west past Sumatra and beyond the range of Malaysian military radar.
The analysis suggested the jet was already flying south when the first phone call was attempted, less than 20 minutes after the plane dropped off military radar.
"We're now more confident that it turned comparatively early. That does make a difference to how we prioritize the search along the seventh arc," Dolan added, referring to the broad area where investigators believe the flight ran out of fuel and crashed, based on the last ping from the engine transmitters.
With the hunt for the airliner set to resume in a few weeks, investigators are attempting to calculate which parts of the search area should be examined first.
The analysis adds weight to a crash-investigation report issued in June by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau in which most modeling of the plane's potential flight paths factored in a relatively early turn to a southerly course.
The current search area covers a swath of ocean 700 kilometres (435 miles) long and 80 kilometres (50 miles) wide. An initial search of 850 square kilometres (330 square miles) of seabed to the north ended with officials concluding that they were focusing their efforts in the wrong place.
Also Thursday, Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss and Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai signed an agreement in Canberra for the two countries to share the ongoing costs as the search progresses to the expensive next phase, which could take up to a year and cost 52 million Australian dollars ($48 million).
Until now, each country involved in the search has borne its own costs.
In three weeks, a Dutch contractor will begin the operation with three vessels towing underwater vehicles equipped with side-scan sonar, multi-beam echo sounders and video equipment, Truss said.
"We need to find the plane. We need to find the black box in the plane so that we can have a conclusion in the investigation," Liow said.
Malaysia, as the country where the jet was flagged, has overall responsibility for the crash investigation. But Australia is responsible for search-and-rescue operations.
Chinese Vice Minister of Transport He Jianzhong, who also attended the Canberra meeting, said the ministers agreed that the search will not be interrupted or given up. Most of the passengers — 153 — were Chinese.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Oprah Winfrey, Harry Belafonte honoured by Harvard
3 charged with homicide in Mexico army killings
Oklahoma unveils new execution procedures
Bodies of 2 tourists found after Chile avalanche
Dallas hospital confirms first Ebola case in US
What to serve a guest who's fasting? Hospitality
Morgan: 'Can't believe' Wal-Mart blaming him
Iraq combat mission proposal coming: Harper
Iranian filmmakers call for nuclear deal
Algeria identifies some kidnappers of French hiker
Police: 1 child hurt, school evacuated in Kentucky
Wave of attacks kills nearly 50 in Iraq
Kurds claim advances in Iraq as Britain joins fray
Prosecutor: No need for new trial in Simpson case
Gaza lions sent to Jordan after war damages zoo
US cop indicted in shooting shrouded in mystery
NFL says Abdullah should not have been penalized
Olympian Michael Phelps apologizes for DUI arrest
California becomes first state to ban plastic bags
4th filmmaker charged in Allman movie train crash
US man charged with murder in beheading
Lawyer says singer Anita Baker owes him money
Secret Service boss vows no repeat of breach
Secret Service head takes responsibility in breach
No template for Canada in Iraq: Baird
Florida loud music killing trial coming to close
EBay to split off lucrative PayPal business
US-led airstrikes hit Islamic State near Turkey
Afghanistan, US sign long-awaited security pact
US Ebola labs, health equipment arrive in Liberia
Under-fire Hong Kong leader marks National Day
Viagra ads target women for 1st time
Security chief on hot seat for White House breach
Researcher convicted of poisoning lover's coffee
Crew makes 1,126-pound bowl of Hawaii rice dish