Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Weak cries sounded like seagulls

Pope declares 'day of tears' for African migrants

  • Print

LAMPEDUSA, Italy -- Survivors of a fiery shipwreck that killed more than 110 African migrants clung for hours to empty water bottles in the dark, trying desperately to keep from drowning, an Italian fisherman said Friday.

Lampedusa resident Vito Fiorino said he was the first to come across dozens of migrants scattered in the Mediterranean Sea while he was on an early morning fishing expedition.

At first he thought their weak cries were those of seagulls. Then he saw what terrible shape they were in, coated with gasoline from the smugglers' boat, barely clothed or wearing rags.

Some didn't have the strength to grab the lifesaving ring thrown to them.

Once on board, they told him they had been fighting to stay alive for three hours.

"It was a scene from a film, something you hope never to see in life," he said.

Fiorino said he alerted the Italian coast guard and other boats when he came upon desperate migrants just before 7 a.m. Thursday.

He and his friends lifted 47 people up onto his 10-metre boat.

Lampedusa, a tiny Italian island 113 kilometres off Tunisia, is closer to Africa than the Italian mainland and has been at the centre of wave after wave of illegal immigration.

On Friday, Italian coast guard boats carrying divers headed out from Lampedusa to search for more bodies, but choppy waters hampered their efforts.

The scope of the tragedy at Lampedusa -- with 111 bodies recovered so far, 155 people rescued and up to an estimated 250 still missing -- has prompted outpourings of grief.

Italian officials demanded a comprehensive European Union immigration policy to deal with the tens of thousands of migrants fleeing poverty and strife in Africa and the Middle East.

Pope Francis called Friday a "day of tears," denouncing the "savage" system he said drives people to leave their homes for a better life, yet doesn't care when they die in the process. Dutch lawmaker Tineke Strik, who has reported on migrant deaths on the Mediterranean, urged Italy to investigate claims some fishing boats or other vessels ignored calls for help from the doomed boat.

Some survivors told UN workers a fishing boat had passed them but it was not clear if the boat saw the migrants, said Barbara Molinario of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.

Strik, in comments reported Friday by the Parliamentary Council of Europe, acknowledged some provisions of Italian law "effectively dissuade" boat captains from helping migrants in distress.

She insisted no law should impede rescuing people whose lives are in danger.

Fiorino, the Italian fisherman, told The Associated Press he saw no signs of any bad behaviour from people in boats.

The 20-metre smuggler's boat was carrying migrants from Eritrea, Ghana and Somalia when it caught fire early Thursday near the Lampedusa port, authorities said. The fire panicked those on board the rickety boat. They stampeded to one side, flipping it over, and hundreds of men, women and children, many of whom could not swim, were flung into the sea.

"The migrants told us there were about 500 of them," Veronica Lentini, a field officer for the International Organization for Migration, told reporters. "The boat capsized and they fell in the water, but many of them were trapped inside the boat."

Molinario said authorities were expecting the number of missing to be around 250, based on survivor accounts.

Italian coast guard ships, fishing boats and helicopters from across the region were taking part in the search operations. Coast guard divers found the wreck late Thursday on the sea floor, 40 metres below the surface, with bodies scattered around it.

"Today the operations we plan to do are focused on searching inside the ship where bodies are trapped," Capt. Filippo Marini, a coast guard spokesman, told reporters Friday. "We don't have the number of the bodies; we don't know the real number yet."

Rescue crews hauled body bags by the dozens into Lampedusa port on Thursday, lining them up under multicoloured tarps on the docks.

The UNHCR believes this is likely to be the biggest such tragedy on record involving migrants in the Mediterranean. But the agency said there were many other incidents of boats arriving with many dead -- one with 63 dead on board and seven survivors, and others in which survivors arrive saying dozens have died at sea, but can't be verified because the bodies are never found.

"Here it is all within 600 metres of shore and we will have more clarity," said Laurens Jolles, the UNHCR representative in Italy.

Thousands make the perilous crossing each year, seeking a new life in the prosperous European Union. Smugglers charge thousands of dollars a head for the journey aboard overcrowded, barely seaworthy boats that lack life vests. Hundreds die in the crossing each year.

-- The Associated Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 5, 2013 A21

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Your Vote: The Blue Bombers All-Time Team

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Susan and Gary Harrisonwalk their dog Emma on a peaceful foggy morning in Assiniboine Park – Standup photo– November 27, 2011   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • July 1, 2012 - 120701  -   Canada Day fireworks at The Forks from the Norwood Bridge Sunday, July 1, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you plan on attending any of the CMHR opening weekend events? (select all that apply)

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google