Top News

HSC nurses respond to union call for details on violence, safety concerns

Tyler Searle 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:54 PM CDT

Dozens of nurses have stepped forward with accounts of violence, theft and security concerns on the Health Sciences Centre campus, just a day after their union asked members to share their experiences as it prepares for grievance hearings with the provincial health authority.

“It is not a safe environment, and you can only talk so much about it until you finally say, ‘We are done talking, and we need to take action here,’” Darlene Jackson, president of the Manitoba Nurses Union said Thursday.

“We feel it’s time they take this seriously.”

The union has filed a grievance against Shared Health, citing safety concerns in parkades and surface parking lots surrounding HSC, and an arbitration hearing is slated for early December.

Mayor pushes for zoning changes to secure millions in federal housing dollars

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

Mayor pushes for zoning changes to secure millions in federal housing dollars

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:37 PM CDT

Winnipeg’s mayor is calling for substantial changes to the city’s zoning rules to “unlock” up to $192 million in federal support for local housing.

However, some fear the changes would reduce public scrutiny and limit oversight on many housing projects.

Mayor Scott Gillingham plans to raise a motion at the Nov. 14 executive policy committee meeting, which would require a final council vote, that calls for three key changes, as requested by the federal government.

“We are at a place in our city where we are in significant need of housing,” Gillingham said. “We see our population continue to grow… To make more housing possible, to get it built faster, (the federal government wants) to remove conditions and exclusionary zoning.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:37 PM CDT

BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

The changes would mean certain types of developments — such as four units on a single lot — would be permitted “as-of-right,” removing the current requirement for potentially time-consuming zoning or variance applications.

Christmas Cheer Board braces for record demand

Kevin Rollason 3 minute read Preview

Christmas Cheer Board braces for record demand

Kevin Rollason 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:05 PM CDT

The Christmas Cheer Board is expecting to deliver 19,000 food hampers this holiday season — the most in its 104-year history — as demand for food banks reaches record highs in Manitoba.

That’s why the organization is taking calls on Fridays now, much earlier in the fall than usual, executive director Shawna Bell said.

“We figured we’d catch a few more people who need help this year,” Bell said Thursday.

“Last year we handed out 18,313 hampers. I believe this was the highest (number) we have ever had, but we will be higher this year. I predict, because it is tough out there for people, we will hand out 19,000 hampers this year.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:05 PM CDT

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

The Cheer Board, which changes locations based on vacancies and donated space, has a new home this year where a flooring store had been at 895 Century St.

FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried convicted of defrauding cryptocurrency customers

Larry Neumeister, The Associated Press 7 minute read Preview

FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried convicted of defrauding cryptocurrency customers

Larry Neumeister, The Associated Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 9:15 PM CDT

NEW YORK (AP) — FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried’s spectacular rise and fall in the cryptocurrency industry — a journey that included his testimony before Congress, a Super Bowl advertisement and dreams of a future run for president — hit rock bottom Thursday when a New York jury convicted him of fraud for stealing at least $10 billion from customer and investors.

After the monthlong trial, jurors rejected Bankman-Fried’s claim during testimony in Manhattan federal court that he never committed fraud or meant to cheat customers before FTX, once the world’s second-largest crypto exchange, collapsed into bankruptcy a year ago.

“Mr. Bankman-Fried. Please rise and face the jury,” Judge Lewis A. Kaplan commanded just before a jury forewoman responded “guilty” seven times to two counts of wire fraud, two counts of wire fraud conspiracy and three other conspiracy charges, which carry potential penalties adding up to 110 years in prison. Bankman-Fried is likely to face far less than the maximum at a sentencing set for March 28.

As the verdict was read, Bankman-Fried seemed stunned, appearing stone-faced, his hands clasped before him, as his lawyers remained sitting beside him. When he sat down, he looked down for several minutes.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 9:15 PM CDT

FILE - FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried arrives at Manhattan federal court, Friday, Aug. 11, 2023, in New York. A lawyer for Bankman-Fried said Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2023, the FTX founder plans to testify at his fraud trial. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews, File)

Miscommunication has trained teacher in limbo

Maggie Macintosh LOCAL JOURNALISM INITIATIVE REPORTER 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

As Manitoba schools warn about a teacher shortage, an internationally trained educator and her family are bemoaning the bureaucracy required to become fully certified and unclear instructions that have left them in limbo.

Manitoba Education’s certification unit is refusing to grant an experienced computer science teacher accreditation to work on a permanent basis despite a miscommunication about her outstanding credits and a university dean vouching for her skills.

“Somebody has to apply some logic or reasoning or something to that unit. To me, this is bureaucracy at its worst,” said Dalbir Bains, whose wife has spent more than five years working towards becoming a certified teacher.

Semantics and officials’ unwillingness to consider the unique situation have caused unnecessary stress and delays, Bains said.

Crown wraps up cross-examination of Peter Nygard

Sonja Puzic, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

Crown wraps up cross-examination of Peter Nygard

Sonja Puzic, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:05 PM CDT

TORONTO - The Crown concluded its cross-examination of Peter Nygard on Thursday by showing the jury photos and videos it said contradict some of the fashion mogul's previous testimony in his sexual assault trial.

Five women – whose identities are protected by a publication ban – have testified that their encounters with Nygard all ended in a top-floor bedroom suite at his company's Toronto headquarters, where they allege they were sexually assaulted.

The 82-year-old founder of a now-defunct women's clothing company has pleaded not guilty to five counts of sexual assault and one count of forcible confinement in alleged incidents ranging from the 1980s to mid-2000s.

He denied all allegations against him when he took the stand in his own defence last week and said he did not recall meeting or interacting with four of the five complainants.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:05 PM CDT

Peter Nygard testified Tuesday that he had "nothing to hide" during his 11-hour interview with a Toronto police detective in October 2021, but could not recall certain details of that conversation. Clockwise, from left to right, Justice Robert Goldstein, Peter Nygard, Neville Golwalla, Ana Serban, Det. Sgt. Erin Hanlon and Brian Greenspan are seen in a courtroom sketch in Toronto, Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Alexandra Newbould

Columnists

See More

Advertisement

Winnipeg’s airport records busiest day ever

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Winnipeg’s airport records busiest day ever

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 1:00 PM CDT

Winnipeg’s airport hit its busiest day on record last quarter as it continues toward its goal of reaching pre-pandemic traffic levels.

The WAA said 15,400 people passed through Winnipeg Richardson International Airport on Aug. 14.

This summer’s airport traffic nearly aligned with pre-pandemic numbers — 1.2 million passengers passed through between July and September, which is 99 per cent of the traffic during the same timeframe in 2019.

The Winnipeg Airports Authority attributes the busyness to seasonal summer travel. Its revenue jumped 18 per cent year over year, to $45.3 million in 2023’s third quarter.

Read
Yesterday at 1:00 PM CDT

The Winnipeg Richardson International Airport (Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press files)

AMC concerned about recurring pattern of police-related deaths

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

AMC concerned about recurring pattern of police-related deaths

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 1:42 PM CDT

The partner of a 37-year-old man who died in Winnipeg police custody is questioning the force used by officers, while Manitoba chiefs raise concerns about a “recurring pattern” of fatalities involving First Nations people.

Elias Whitehead went into medical distress while he was arrested at Broadway and Sherbrook Street on Oct. 15. He was later pronounced dead at Health Sciences Centre.

“The police are supposed to keep people safe. They’re supposed to help people. This wasn’t the case for Elias and many other people,” his partner, Jody Beardy, told reporters Thursday.

“Where was his help? Why didn’t they keep him safe? Regardless of the situation, they failed him.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 1:42 PM CDT

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Elias Whitehead went into medical distress while he was arrested at Broadway and Sherbrook Street on Oct. 15 and later died.

Found in translation

Théâtre Cercle Molière’s English subtitles help put its plays in the hands of anglo audience members

Ben Waldman 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:43 PM CDT

Crown drops some sex-crime charges against high school teacher-coach

Erik Pindera 2 minute read Preview

Crown drops some sex-crime charges against high school teacher-coach

Erik Pindera 2 minute read Yesterday at 2:27 PM CDT

Crown prosecutors have stayed some sex-crime charges a Manitoba teacher and rugby coach was accused of committing against students.

Teacher David Bueti, 43, of Winnipeg, was charged in July 2022 with five counts of sexual assault and three counts of sexual interference in alleged incidents of inappropriately touching girls while he worked as a teacher and coach at Steinbach Regional Secondary School.

The incidents involving six students between the ages of 15 and 18 were alleged to have occurred at the Steinbach school between Feb. 1 and May 31 in 2022; Bueti worked at the school from February until June that year.

He had worked at several public and private schools — including some in Winnipeg — over a 16-year career as an educator.

Read
Yesterday at 2:27 PM CDT

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Steinbach Regional Secondary School

Slowed health spending projected in Manitoba

2 minute read Preview

Slowed health spending projected in Manitoba

2 minute read Yesterday at 11:31 AM CDT

Manitoba is on track to spend $12.3 billion on health care by the end of this year, new projections released Thursday show.

The projections show slowed health spending across Canada.

The Canadian Institute for Health Information’s annual health-care spending report shows Manitoba is in line with national trends and is spending slightly less on its health system than the per capita Canadian average.

Canada is expected to spend $344 billion on health care this year.

Read
Yesterday at 11:31 AM CDT

Health-care workers at the Health Sciences Centre. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Pool / The Canadian Press files)

In-person classes halted at gym in historic building downtown

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

In-person classes halted at gym in historic building downtown

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

A vibrant downtown gym has halted in-person classes after the heritage building’s ceiling partially collapsed.

“It’s obviously devastating,” said The Community Gym owner Amie Seier.

Staff entered 468 Main St. Wednesday morning and found plaster littering the floor and the ceiling’s wooden beams exposed. A light dangled near racks of clothes; shards of ceiling covered the gym’s front lobby.

Nobody had been injured, Seier said — the collapse happened between the early morning and noon fitness classes.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

SUPPLIED

The Community Gym owner Amie Seier surveys the damage after the gym’s ceiling collapsed Wednesday.

Polo Park fast-food outlet A&W carries out mass staff layoff

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read Preview

Polo Park fast-food outlet A&W carries out mass staff layoff

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023

An ownership change at a local A&W led to a mass staff layoff with the option to reapply for their jobs. The move is unusual but not novel, according to experts.

An employee at A&W in CF Polo Park’s food court confirmed Wednesday staff are being let go. The former franchise owners, who couldn’t be reached by print deadline, have sold the fast-food business known for its onion rings, root beer and family of burgers.

All staff have been “compensated and looked after very fairly,” a spokesperson for A&W Canada wrote in a statement.

Local A&W leadership directed a Free Press reporter to the brand’s national headquarters in Vancouver.

Read
Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023

More Top News

LOAD MORE

Local

LOAD MORE

Sports

LOAD MORE

Arts & Life

LOAD MORE

Opinion

LOAD MORE

Business

LOAD MORE

More News

LOAD MORE