December 15, 2019

Winnipeg
-16° C, Ice crystals

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Cousins who were best friends dead from carbon monoxide gas in Saskatchewan home

PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. - Two young cousins are dead after police say they were overcome by carbon monoxide gas at a home in northern Saskatchewan.

RCMP say emergency medical crews found the 12-year-boy and 13-year-old girl dead after they arrived Tuesday afternoon at a residence in a recreational community in the Prince Albert area.

The pair, who relatives say were also best friends, were visiting with family members at the time.

No one else at the residence needed treatment for the effects of the colourless and odourless gas.

The Saskatchewan Coroner's Service is investigating, but police say the deaths are not considered suspicious.

The cousins died the same day 46 people at a Winnipeg hotel had to be taken to hospital after a buildup of carbon monoxide in the building that officials have attributed to insufficient ventilation.

All 46 were discharged from various hospitals within 24 hours of the hotel's evacuation.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us