June 3, 2020

Winnipeg
9° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Help us deliver reliable news during this pandemic.

We are working tirelessly to bring you trusted information about COVID-19. Support our efforts by subscribing today.

No Thanks Subscribe

Already a subscriber?

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Tories decide $3.1M in prevention cuts should be part of financial cure

Health Minister Kelvin Goertzen (Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press files)</p>

Health Minister Kelvin Goertzen (Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press files)

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/4/2017 (1134 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Two organizations representing Manitoba doctors are worried about plans to reorganize Winnipeg's hospital system.

Dr. Barbara Kelleher, president of Doctors Manitoba, said the proposed closure of emergency rooms and intensive care centres at three hospitals "could harm patient care."

In a letter to the Medical Post, she said she is concerned remaining ERs and urgent care centres "may not be provided with the necessary resources" to keep up with the greater demand for acute care services.

"Physicians are already being asked to do more with less and to assume a heavier administrative burden," said Kelleher. "Failing to properly resource emergency rooms and urgent care centres that remain open could have serious consequences for patients."

Doctors Manitoba is the bargaining agent for the province's physicians.

Kelleher said the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority will save almost $20 million a year from the changes because of layoffs of frontline ER, urgent care and intensive care unit physicians.

The WRHA said in a statement it did not anticipate any significant reductions in emergency or critical care physician positions.

Meanwhile, in a letter to members, the president of the 1,200-member Manitoba College of Family Physicians said she is worried the changes proposed by the Progressive Conservative government and the WRHA could negatively affect the hospital-based practices of many family doctors in the city.

Dr. Deirdre O'Flaherty said while the college is eager to help the health-care system become more efficient, she is concerned the role of family physicians in the proposed new system will be undermined.

She told members she is pressing for a meeting with the Health Department and the WRHA to discuss her organization's concerns.

Among the planned changes announced by the province and WRHA on April 7 were the closures of the Concordia, Seven Oaks and Victoria hospital ERs. Seven Oaks and Victoria will instead operate 24-7 urgent care centres, while Misericordia's urgent care centre will be closed and the space used for other purposes.

The hospital reorganization dominated question period at the legislature Tuesday and a subsequent meeting to discuss the Health Department's spending estimates.

Addressing the two doctors organizations' concerns, Premier Brian Pallister said while he has "tremendous respect for physicians generally" and their associations, the government must do what's best for patients.

He said Manitoba has long had some of the country's longest medical wait times, including for ER waits, so maintaining the status quo is no longer an option.

Pallister said the changes that will be implemented in the coming months and years are based on consultations with experts.

"I won’t deny that those changes may be seen as challenging," the premier said. "But not facing up to those challenges is not acceptable. So we will."

NDP health critic Matt Wiebe grilled Health Minister Kelvin Goertzen during health estimates about the report, by consultant David Peachey, on which much of the city hospital reorganization is based. The report had been commissioned by the former NDP government.

Goertzen flatly rejected suggestions he or his staff changed Peachey's mandate or had a hand in influencing or altering the final report.

"We accepted it as presented. I did not select Dr. Peachey to conduct the (study). I had never heard of Dr. Peachey prior to becoming minister of health. It would be fair to surmise that I was probably as hands-off on a report as a minister could be," Goertzen said.

The NDP is likely to keep the health minister on the hot seat for several more days.

The Health Department, with a budget of $6.1 billion, makes up nearly half of Manitoba's core government spending.

Supplementary health spending information released this week shows the Pallister government is cutting funding for programs that monitor and promote public health by more than 10 per cent this year.

Goertzen may find himself answering questions on why his department plans to spend $4.2 million less for physician recruitment and retention in Manitoba this year, or why the department's mental-health and addictions spending is forecast to be down $872,000. (The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba, however, is slated to get a $705,000 increase on a budget that now exceeds $24 million.)

— with file from The Canadian Press

larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca

Larry Kusch

Larry Kusch
Legislature Reporter

Larry Kusch didn’t know what he wanted to do with his life until he attended a high school newspaper editor’s workshop in Regina in the summer of 1969 and listened to a university student speak glowingly about the journalism program at Carleton University in Ottawa.

Read full biography

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

The Free Press would like to thank our readers for their patience while comments were not available on our site. We're continuing to work with our commenting software provider on issues with the platform. In the meantime, if you're not able to see comments after logging in to our site, please try refreshing the page.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us